What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

U. dichotoma

Hey all,
Let's see some pics of U. dichotoma, if you've got 'em. Mine are flowering like crazy now, so I'll start off with a couple pics of my own:
Ignore the background differences, I was experimenting...

~hcarlton

No pics, but comments. Cool blooms; the white backround is better imo.

DSC_00310009.jpg

Yeah, the white backdrop shows everything much better. However, it appears I can hardly compare to kula and his photography skills... :D

Lense wide open. Blurring my background adding to the effect. Are you growing your plants in doors? I have noticed mine were more blue than purple when grown inside. Warm days warm nights vs outdoors cool days cool nights

I honestly never liked dichotoma, I'm guessing these photos are changing that opinion:)

Yeah, I grow mine indoors. The flowers are bright purple, but I noticed those forming closer to the lights are much paler. Not so much blue in mine at all, at least in person.

Great photos. I had a U. dichotoma a while back. Alas...

I should take another pic. The thing has 4 active stalks and 3 more on the way......

I should take another pic. The thing has 4 active stalks and 3 more on the way......

Keep em coming! I really like U. dichotoma- especially since they are tuberous. Not sure why that is so cool to me but it is :s

Tuberous? I had not heard of this being one of the tuberous species. That would imply it goes dormant, and mine is a constant grower. I also have it in a clear cup, so I can see huge purple bladders, but no sign of anything remotely like a tuber, ever.

Okay, I see now. There are 2 forms of this species then. I'm guessing either mine is the non-tuberous form, or because I never let it dry out it doesn't have to produce them. I feel like an experiment may be needed after they flower.

Okay, I see now. There are 2 forms of this species then. I'm guessing either mine is the non-tuberous form, or because I never let it dry out it doesn't have to produce them. I feel like an experiment may be needed after they flower.

Yeah I have kind of gotten that impression- the whole two forms thing. That seems really weird to me but I have seen comments to that effect. Seems like quite a morphological difference within a single species.

Never seen one before so it is awesome the deep purple flower is beautiful to me

So I finally got around to taking some more pics of this plant, I've got like 15 active flower stalks in a cup only 3 inches wide, and about 5 open flowers..... :D

I definitely think for this plant the secret to the flowers is to keep the plant submerged for a few weeks, then let the water level drop off for a bit, before flooding it again....

Back