Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anybody grow gibba?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I keep mine in a refrigerator tray with a layer of clay from the front yard, with some Baumea sp. and Sagittaria sagittifolia. They formed a thick mat in and above the clay and flower year-round. The entire tray is only a few inches deep, so the water fills in the cracks in the Utricularia gibba! I have seeds if you need them; I'm not entirely sure if they're viable because I've never tried germinating them.
    "I, for one, can't wait to grow Nepenthes extincta!"
    Plant List ; blog

A leuco by any other name would still be as gluttonous. CorneliusSchrute's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just got a hunk of gibba yesterday and have it floating in my aldrovanda tub. I don't now how it will work suspended in five to six inches of water, but I think as I let the water level drop it will find the substrate, root, and presumably take off.

Anybody have advice on free floating gibba?
    Corey Bennett

My cultivated vegetation, carnivorous and otherwise...

Formerly cbennett4041

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cbennett4041 View Post
    I just got a hunk of gibba yesterday and have it floating in my aldrovanda tub. I don't now how it will work suspended in five to six inches of water, but I think as I let the water level drop it will find the substrate, root, and presumably take off.

Anybody have advice on free floating gibba?
    It can grow fine suspended in a couple of inches of water. It doesn't require any sort of substrate, but I've never seen it flower when suspended. I would also be very wary about growing it with Aldrovanda because U. gibba can easily out-compete Aldrovanda for space and food.
    "I, for one, can't wait to grow Nepenthes extincta!"
    Plant List ; blog

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I grew mine in just a small 5gal. tank filled half way with RO. In less than a year it was corner to corner gibba below the surface, and corner to corner gibba flowers above the surface.
    Easy peazy..

A leuco by any other name would still be as gluttonous. CorneliusSchrute's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clue View Post
    It can grow fine suspended in a couple of inches of water. It doesn't require any sort of substrate, but I've never seen it flower when suspended. I would also be very wary about growing it with Aldrovanda because U. gibba can easily out-compete Aldrovanda for space and food.
    I was wondering about that. I sort of threw it together thinking it was a good place for now. My other option would be my Sarr water trays like someone else mentioned earlier. Might do that....

...or a cool jar on my window sill.
    Corey Bennett

Formerly cbennett4041

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think any of those would work well Corey.

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Mine was suspended, unless you count the other plants in there that it had to touch... It was kept pretty full of water (about a foot deep) and once it grew fairly dense, it flowered quite a bit. I made a topic on it... http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...ibba-in-flower I lost all of it though when I moved 2 years ago along with most other utrics :-\ good luck!
    Andrew

Edit: I tried some Aldrovandra in that once, and I did have to constantly monitor it and remove U. gibba from completely covering it... I tried to keep one spot clear for them, but ultimately took them out.
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome to hear from the gurus! Thanks folks!
    Corey Bennett

Formerly cbennett4041

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123