What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

U. alpina tubers

My U. alpina had made some rather impressive tubers:

J09nG9L.jpg

..... and here's a bunch when they stay in the pot ... like marbles ...
Ualpinatubers1051511RS.jpg

Impressive!

I seem to have a hard time with orchioides Utricularia. I even managed to kill U. alpina.

Wow! I thought the tubers in the first picture were stolons until you showed the second picture. Those bladders are really small. It's interesting how the lighting makes everything look green in the first picture. I thought that the plant was actually like that at first.

It's interesting how the lighting makes everything look green in the first picture. I thought that the plant was actually like that at first.
The green in my picture is not due to the lighting, they really are green. I suspect it is because they are exposed to the light, whereas those in Ron's picture most likely are not.

I think mine is trying to escape from the coir that it is potted in!

Those bladders are really small.
As the Wiki article explains, terrestrial utrics usually have very small bladders for the type of prey they are likely to encounter. U. humboldtii, which like to live in bromeliads, has some of the largest bladders.

I seem to have a hard time with orchioides Utricularia. I even managed to kill U. alpina.
Just curious, did you allow the pot to sit in water?

Back