Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: U. quelchii

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

U. quelchii

I got a good number of Orchidoides Utrics from Ron last year and while many did well, some did not enjoy my summer warmth. My U. quelchii was one of those. The plant dropped all of its leaves, and I've just kept the pot in my terrarium in the hopes that it may recover. I noticed these stringy growths in the pot the other day when I went digging around. I'm not sure if they've been there the whole time or are new growths, but I wanted to get more experienced thoughts on whether this is actually alive still. They haven't shown any signs of decomposition, so I have to assume it is still alive, though. Anyway, here are the pictures (sorry for the quality):

I'm referring to the upside-down "U" growth and the nub attached.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That doesn't look like Utricularia material to me. Looks like a stem or stolon of something else.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mine also looked the same and was from the same source i also won it in the auction last year,
    my quelchii also had those stiff- stringy stem looking things which grew very slowly until it gave up and turned brown followed by the leaves as well, all i can hope is good luck with yours! since mine rotted i would reccomend using pure live green sphangum moss which has better drainage, stagnant water may have been what killed mine using dead LFS
    Gen 1:11

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    U.quelchii does best for me in net pots with a mix of perlite and dead lfs as a wick in the bottom half with a hefty top layer of live lfs. The plant itself never seems to leave the live top layer of moss. I also got mine from Ron last year and it's thriving. It's got 3 big leaves and is simultaneously putting out 2 even bigger ones. It's just about filled a 3" round net pot in the time I've had it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is the plant I got from Ron as a tiny division last year. No flowers yet but it's been growing slowly but very steadily.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is the plant I got from Ron as a tiny division last year. No flowers yet but it's been growing slowly but very steadily.
    your quelchii is so full of life!! looks awesome! congratulations on keeping it well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu138 View Post
    Very healthy plant with some nice growth. Seeing this post prompted me to look at earlier pics of the mother plant in my growlist. I typically put the date in the pic name so it's not too tough to track time...

Here's the original parent plant on 15 Jan 2011 - looking even smaller than Johnny's plant (I received on 20 Sept 2010 as a tiny plant)

Same plant 6 months later (16 July 2011) - showing significant growth (honestly can't say I remember it growing this quickly - LOL)

A little less than 2 years from the original pic (21 Feb 2013). It was just after this pic was taken that I observed the 1st flower stalk (it ended up with 4 or 5 stalks iirc)

One of the flowers (I had a horrible time trying to get the pics to represent the actual flower color - took many photos but only kept 1 or 2)

I'm glad that I've had the opportunity to share some of this plant with others. I hope everyone gets a chance to see their plant take off & eventually flower.

On a side-note, I'm feeling a bit like a 5 year old as one of my U. campbelliana's (the other red-flowered Orchidioides) has decided to send up 5 stalks! So far, they're all still growing well - I sure hope they keep going & don't abort.
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haha, I've gotta say, that's the 1st U.quelchii shrub I've ever seen. Great job Ron.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast