What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Super Size Me: U. reneformis 'Big Sister'

As promised.. here's a few pics of my 5gallon bucket U. reneformis 'Big Sister' setup.
Top bucket is sandy peat on top of LFS with drainage holes for the roots/bladders, lower bucket is for RO water.
This plant just broke dormancy, which took me forever to accomplish. So not much to look at yet, but as you can see it's loving life under the 400w HPS bulb.

Wow really thick stems! And the plant looks so big in general I wouldn't think it was Utricularia if I saw it without knowing. Do you add anything to the water for it to eat? It's weird how the sides of the stolons are curled up. Does it need high humidity?

The leaves are all still unfolding. It literally just broke dormancy about a week ago..
It's currently growing in 20% humidity. May need the higher humidity of springtime in order to flower. Dunno though, any flowers from this one would be a first in my care.

Wow really thick stems! And the plant looks so big in general I wouldn't think it was Utricularia if I saw it without knowing. Do you add anything to the water for it to eat? It's weird how the sides of the stolons are curled up. Does it need high humidity?

So it's been a couple weeks since this post, and I now see what you're saying. The leaves are still continuing to pop up, but even after unfolding the leaf edges are still curling inwards. So yes, probably due to the low humidity. I was thinking of just covering the lid with a piece of plexiglass or saran wrap, but the leaves are so tall now that they're clearing the top of the bucket. So guess they'll just have to make due..
And no sir, I don't use fertilizers here. Just coffee on the neps from time to time.

Maybe you could put a plastic bag on top of the bag, unless it is too tall even for that. And I wasn't referring to fertilizer; I use aquarium water to water my utrics from time to time in the hopes that there are some microorganisms which they could eat. Although I think the water was too hard and it hurt them.

For what it's worth: I have sometimes used bamboo skewers, though such a big 'pot' would need bamboo stakes, around the edges of a pot and then wrapped them above the pot top edge around with clear plastic wrap to form an open-topped tube to raise humidity down below. That's a cool, and huge, plant!

Back