Likes Likes:  3
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for Utric/Genlisea suggestions for underwater growth display

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking for Utric/Genlisea suggestions for underwater growth display

I'm looking for a good single species to display in the setup below it. The temps for this one will be in the 65-75 range year and will not get any dormancy. I'm wanting to allow for space for flowers so a keep the stalk height in mind. Lighting will be provided by some LEDs I figure, so there should be plenty.

The idea would be to copy El Gecko Genlisea glass thingie but in a larger scale and most likely with a Utric, although I'm not opposed to a Genlisea. So I'm looking for a species that will flower in the height provided and put on a little show in the water below.

I have a few ideas but I don't want to drive any suggestions so I'll keep them to myself for the time being.

I'm not opposed to importing something as I will likely be importing a few thing in the Spring.

Suggestions, comments?

Curved Front by randallsimpson, on Flickr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    U. humboldtii wins hands down (imho) - two types of interesting photosynthetic growth (paddles & fern-like leaves) & one of the largest bladders in the utric world. While humbo's are considered HL plants, ~2 years ago I stuck one on the windowsill. It handles summer temps, direct sunshine from the east, horrible low humidity in the winter - and keeps growing (plus it flowered last spring).

One suggestion: I'd consider modifying your design to allow access to the lower water region (cleaning, water change, insertion of live food, etc) as things can get nasty.

A few years ago, I made several small glass tanks to hold a 4x4x4 netpot just for this purpose (I was not happy with a curved walls in rev 1 as they distorted pics too much). Last fall, I finally planted one with some U. humboldtii & placed it on the windowsill. Growth has been slow but fairly steady. Hopefully in another year I'll have plenty of large bladders to feed daphnia & mosquito larvae.
    Last edited by RL7836; 01-27-2014 at 03:33 PM.
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    U. Reniformis and U. Nelumbifolia both makes decent sized bladders that grow out of my pots and into the water column. I have not had them flower and they might be alittle large for this setup. Just giving you advise on what i grow personally. I would lean more toward Genlisea unless there is a Utric I am overlooking.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RL7836 View Post
    U. humboldtii wins hands down (imho) - two types of interesting photosynthetic growth (paddles & fern-like leaves) & one of the largest bladders in the utric world. While humbo's are considered HL plants, ~2 years ago I stuck one on the windowsill. It handles summer temps, direct sunshine from the east, horrible low humidity in the winter - and keeps growing (plus it flowered last spring).

One suggestion: I'd consider modifying your design to allow access to the lower water region (cleaning, water change, insertion of live food, etc) as things can get nasty.

A few years ago, I made several small glass tanks to hold a 4x4x4 netpot just for this purpose (I was not happy with a curved walls in rev 1 as they distorted pics too much). Last fall, I finally planted one with some U. humboldtii & placed it on the windowsill. Growth has been slow but fairly steady. Hopefully in another year I'll have plenty of large bladders to feed daphnia & mosquito larvae.
    U. humboldtii is one of my fallbacks if nothing better comes up, this tank is just not tall enough for a closed top. How well did yours grow in household humidity?

How tall was the flower stalk for your humboldtii flower?

I was hoping to use U. humboldtii for another upcoming project that I think would showcase it better.

The tank is a prebuilt one that is just sitting in a closet, I'm not a fan of rounded glass but I already have it so I should use it for something. I'll have to put some thought into cleaning the lower region.

Quote Originally Posted by Jcal View Post
    U. Reniformis and U. Nelumbifolia both makes decent sized bladders that grow out of my pots and into the water column. I have not had them flower and they might be alittle large for this setup. Just giving you advise on what i grow personally. I would lean more toward Genlisea unless there is a Utric I am overlooking.
    Both of these would require an open top and I've never had luck keeping either of these healthy in my general household humidity. There are hundreds of Utrics, so I know we are overlooking like 20

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RSS View Post
    How well did yours grow in household humidity?
    All of my potted humbo's reach about the same size - 7-10" tall with paddles ~0.8-1.3" wide. This didn't change when I put this plant on the windowsill. The humbo that grows up from the bottom area of my 75 gal tank is 2-3 times as large.

How tall was the flower stalk for your humboldtii flower?
    Roughly 15" iirc.

Both of these would require an open top and I've never had luck keeping either of these healthy in my general household humidity.
    I've been reluctant to put U. nelumbifolia on the windowsill because the leaves are quite thin. However, multiple pots of U. reniformis have done well there.

There are hundreds of Utrics, so I know we are overlooking like 20
    Probably but most utrics fall into the 'little weedy' category - which might be required if you want it to live within the confines of your setup - especially if you want the flower to stay in - that would even rule out U. longifolia & praelonga. I've never grown U. calycifida - would any of the cultivars in that species work?
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've done similar things with both Genlisea and Utricularia. One hint I can give is, make a removable cover for the water part to keep light from getting in. Blocking the light from entering will stop algae growth and, be a very helpful feature in a difficult to clean set up like this.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RL7836 View Post
    Probably but most utrics fall into the 'little weedy' category - which might be required if you want it to live within the confines of your setup - especially if you want the flower to stay in - that would even rule out U. longifolia & praelonga. I've never grown U. calycifida - would any of the cultivars in that species work?
    If U. praelonga had a better looking flower I might try to make that one work, but I don't want another generic yellow flower. I think I could put a pot of U. calycidifa in my closet and it would grow just fine, I have dug up entire plants UNDER the medium with this species. A lot...its a really weird plant.

The more I think about it the more U. humboldtii stands out from the rest. I'll see if I can find a spot on a windowsill and do a low humidity test run for a month or two before I proceed.

Using U. humboldtii would allow for a larger water and medium area since the tank would then just be a fancy pot. There is no way it would fit in there and look right.

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu138 View Post
    I've done similar things with both Genlisea and Utricularia. One hint I can give is, make a removable cover for the water part to keep light from getting in. Blocking the light from entering will stop algae growth and, be a very helpful feature in a difficult to clean set up like this.
    I'll defiantly add a cover.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Something I've been wanting to try with the "marginal" loving Utrics for a while, and I think it might be the best option here.

I will be adding holes to all the sides of the styrofoam cube. The idea is to add a light weight water absorbent medium into the styro cube and use it as the pot. Fill the glass cube about 1/2 way with water and add the styro pot. The entire pot should float on top of the water line allowing a wicking medium (sponge or sphagnum come to mind) to keep the pot medium moist. This idea is borrowed from some of the seed starting kits so the concept works, now will a Utric like it?

The way a lot of the Utrics I have grow suggests they would actually prefer selective access to all three areas, aquatic/marginal/emersed, this would provide that in one easy to maintain package. Maybe

I will be adding a small clipping of U. humboldtii for a windowsill test run hopefully by the end of the week.

Thoughts?

DSC_0055 by randallsimpson, on Flickr

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast