Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Loss of Foliage

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Loss of Foliage

Does anyone have experience growing Utricularia blanchetti before? I received some a few months ago and it was in bloom, but now I can't find any stolons on the clump of moss it used to be in. Has this happened to anyone before? I read on Barry Rice's FAQ that this happens, but I would like some confirmation, if possible.
    Below are photographs of the foliage before and after it seemingly disappeared. Normally I would just assume it died but I have tricolor, praelonga, and parthenopipes in the exact same growing conditions and they have all produced new growth, so I'm not sure what is going on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe a too compact soil ??

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm, maybe. It's pure peat moss that's kept constantly wet and at basically 100% humidity. It does seem like a fragile plant compared to the other Utricularia growing in the tub. I hope there is still something alive under the soil. The tricolor's stolons shrank a lot, and it took a while to recover from the transplant, so I hope that is the case here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    perhaps it may be due to rot from poor aeration in the soil from being kept too wet always with little oxygen, same reason i assume my utricularia nephrophylla slowly declined, thats why im always afraid on using peat for my utrics.
    Gen 1:11

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For what it's worth - I grow U. blanchetii in drier conditions than I think your picture shows. I'm not terribly experienced with this species but it has been growing well for me and blooms constantly. The medium I use is constantly moist but is well-drained. Maybe drying it out some would make a difference?
    - Mark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanukimo View Post
    Does anyone have experience growing Utricularia blanchetti before?
    Of the little, weedy utrics - this species was quite tender for me - unlike most of the others.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanukimo View Post
    Normally I would just assume it died but I have tricolor, praelonga, and parthenopipes in the exact same growing conditions and they have all produced new growth, so I'm not sure what is going on.
    Apples & oranges. Section Foliosa utrics (tricolor & praelonga) are notably weedy & super robust.

I suspect Bluemax's advice is worth following.
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the advice, everyone. Bluemax, could you specify what growing medium you are using? Is it long-fibered sphagnum, or a mixture of peat and something else? I hope it's not too late to save the plant.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm using a rather chunky mix of peat, sand and perlite. Maybe 4:2:1. I also top water about twice a week, which is a little unusual. Most of my utrics don't seem to like that.

These photos were taken around a month ago but the pot still looks about the same:

Utricularia blanchetii

I hope this helps.
    - Mark

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast