Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My Utricularia reniformis 'big sister'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Salgadoxx8 View Post
    Idk at this point if I should repot it or leave it.
    I'd recommend leaving it - as there will be more to follow. U. reniformis (med & large) seem to love to go quickly to the bottom of the pot & expand from there. This has been very frustrating - especially when repotting.

Last fall, as an experiment, I set up a small chunk in a shallow, undrained container (with a 1" tube so I can monitor water level). It's growth has exceeded my expectations - if it continues, I may repot others into similar setups. Although it resolves the issue of growing through the the drain holes, the shallow tray approach takes more horizontal space than a normal pot - something that's in short supply.

Here's a recent pic (May 6) from one of my U. reniformis clones. I have difficulty even keeping the pot upright. When I repot, I'll probably have to carefully cut the pot away.
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can only imagine what mine will do to the net pot it's currently in then...
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hcarlton View Post
    I can only imagine what mine will do to the net pot it's currently in then...
    Do you plan to cut away the net pot if/when you repot it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, very spectacular...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RL7836 View Post
    I'd recommend leaving it - as there will be more to follow. U. reniformis (med & large) seem to love to go quickly to the bottom of the pot & expand from there. This has been very frustrating - especially when repotting.

Last fall, as an experiment, I set up a small chunk in a shallow, undrained container (with a 1" tube so I can monitor water level). It's growth has exceeded my expectations - if it continues, I may repot others into similar setups. Although it resolves the issue of growing through the the drain holes, the shallow tray approach takes more horizontal space than a normal pot - something that's in short supply.

Here's a recent pic (May 6) from one of my U. reniformis clones. I have difficulty even keeping the pot upright. When I repot, I'll probably have to carefully cut the pot away.
    This seems to be a common trend with larger Utrics. - praelonga, reniformis, nelumbifolia, calycifida, longifolia, tricolor are all doing this for me. With netpots, at least, they seem to like to grow out the sides and that slows down the out-of-pot expansion, but only for a couple months, at most. Unless you regularly take chunks out of them and replace that with new medium, they will soon all but vacate the pot.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12