What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My Utricularia reniformis 'big sister'

i love my Utricularia reniformis 'big sister'.
I recieved the plug as a cylindrical tube from an awesome person on here about a month ago and it immediately gave me its first leaf. i was more than surprised because i assumed it would take a long time to produce growth let alone leaves but its doing well. i have it in an eastern facing window with sunshine in the morning and natural bright light the rest of the day in 70 degree weather. Its my favorite so it has the honor of being next to my bed :banana2: cant wait to see more bigger leaves

image-7.jpg

Looking good. I've found it to be one of the slower growing species in the family. On a side note, U.reniformis "Big Sister" is actually Utricularia cornigera.

Last edited:
Ooh, nice. How high is the humidity? Any is the sphagnum green because it's alive, or is that just moss? I have some LFS like that and I'm not sure whether it's alive.

Looking good. I've found it to be one of the slower growing species in the family. On a side note, U.reniformis "Big Sister" is actually Utricularia cornigera.

oooooh nice!! :-O yea, the person who gave it to me said its very rare! i just didnt know how rare!

Ooh, nice. How high is the humidity? Any is the sphagnum green because it's alive, or is that just moss? I have some LFS like that and I'm not sure whether it's alive.

im not sure on specifics, but I do know my room is pretty humid and warm considering the fact that its the smallest bedroom in my home and i can feel it as soon as i walk in, so the warmth gets trapped and the lfs provides it with more humidity underneath. The sphagnum is dead new zealand sphagnum. its green from algae growth from the sun. real Green sphagnum moss is often very distinguishable in that little green yet thicker tips begin to pop up and actually look alive compared to algae,but its super slow growing. your better off buying live lfs from a purveyor unless you got years of patience.

also if you do happen to get it wash it well and dont mix it with other contaminated mosses. I used to have live lfs but not anymore since i had to kill it because it caught this fungal growth that cause the tips to turn yellow with fungal residue and it spreads to the plants' leaves and it killed one sundew i had all the way to the apical meristem, fortunately my nepenthes ampullaria was hardier

Last edited:
updated pics: since then i transfered the plug to a long narrow pot. The media is 85 percent dead LFS and a 15 percent top layer of peat. Its grown quite fast since I received it. The first leaf that emerged is now dead and shortly the smaller looking one in the pic grew as well. One week later this bigger one poped up from the soil.

imagejpg2-2.jpg

imagejpg1-4.jpg

The leaf that dared to defy the laws of gravity lol

This morning as I lied in bed, I noticed something poking out of the pot and my eyes couldn't believe it: The thickest soon-to-be leaf growing upside down peeping through a small drainage orifice. How it knew this was an opening down there is a mystery to me. Idk at this point if I should repot it or leave it.
imagejpg2-3.jpg

simultaneously a thinner one is growing but as a "normal" above surface leaf.

imagejpg1-5.jpg

Nice! You have a fast-growing plant!

Idk at this point if I should repot it or leave it.
I'd recommend leaving it - as there will be more to follow. U. reniformis (med & large) seem to love to go quickly to the bottom of the pot & expand from there. This has been very frustrating - especially when repotting.

Last fall, as an experiment, I set up a small chunk in a shallow, undrained container (with a 1" tube so I can monitor water level). It's growth has exceeded my expectations - if it continues, I may repot others into similar setups. Although it resolves the issue of growing through the the drain holes, the shallow tray approach takes more horizontal space than a normal pot - something that's in short supply. :headwall:

Here's a recent pic (May 6) from one of my U. reniformis clones. I have difficulty even keeping the pot upright. When I repot, I'll probably have to carefully cut the pot away.

I can only imagine what mine will do to the net pot it's currently in then... :)

I'd recommend leaving it - as there will be more to follow. U. reniformis (med & large) seem to love to go quickly to the bottom of the pot & expand from there. This has been very frustrating - especially when repotting.

Last fall, as an experiment, I set up a small chunk in a shallow, undrained container (with a 1" tube so I can monitor water level). It's growth has exceeded my expectations - if it continues, I may repot others into similar setups. Although it resolves the issue of growing through the the drain holes, the shallow tray approach takes more horizontal space than a normal pot - something that's in short supply. :headwall:

Here's a recent pic (May 6) from one of my U. reniformis clones. I have difficulty even keeping the pot upright. When I repot, I'll probably have to carefully cut the pot away.

This seems to be a common trend with larger Utrics. - praelonga, reniformis, nelumbifolia, calycifida, longifolia, tricolor are all doing this for me. With netpots, at least, they seem to like to grow out the sides and that slows down the out-of-pot expansion, but only for a couple months, at most. Unless you regularly take chunks out of them and replace that with new medium, they will soon all but vacate the pot.

Back