Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rarity of Genlisea

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On average, the overseas purveyors want 30 Euros for a phyto alone. That is like $42 bucks! Add shipping, etc., etc.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dollar, bucks.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By the way, I have grown mine in a modified slack potting sort of way, mostly underwater. The traps never seem to come out of the netpot into the water. So far as being all or partially submerged, they seem to love it.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Might also be that they are easily torn up in separating and so on. I believe somewhere I read parts of the traps are two cells thick. One I tried to repot I mangled pretty badly.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pearldiver View Post
    Might also be that they are easily torn up in separating and so on. I believe somewhere I read parts of the traps are two cells thick. One I tried to repot I mangled pretty badly.
    That seems reasonable considering that the walls of Utricularia's bladders are said to be two cells thick as well, although it does seem like Genlisea would be thicker. Maybe they are brittle since their traps have more of a fixed shape than that of bladderworts.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A few years back G.hispidula, G.aurea, G.repens and a couple of the hybrids were fairly common. I currently grow 2.....G.hispidula and G.lobata x violacea and just planted seeds of G.subglabra. I grow mine in a cup in a cup so that the traps can be observed. They can pretty much be grown exactly like terrestrial Utricularia except that they seem to need high humidity at all times to thrive.

G.lobata x violacea

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use to have one growing nicely and then it got wrecked by a season change in Georgia.

Problems:
    Too picky
    Too slowly
    Too ugly

If you're not growing it in a transparent pot, its a very very very sad plant.
    Formerly known as WaterKirby.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I can tel you they are definitely not rare in the wild - if you know where to find them. Most of the species I have seen in S.America and Africa were at least locally very abundant in multiple populations, often forming huge carpets (G.violacea, G.aurea, G.repens, G.filiformis, G.africana, G.flexuosa, G.guianensis, G.sanariapoana, G.roraimensis).

However some species I only saw at a few scattered populations (G.tuberosa, G.lobata, G.uncinata, G.hispidula) or at few/single populations (G.exhibitionista, G.nebulicola, G.oligophylla, G.metallica, G.subglabra, G.pulchella).

I don't think Genlisea are particularly difficult to cultivate, it's just a matter of cost/benefit: I am sure they would be widely available and CPers would be building expensive & elaborate setups to cultivate them, if only they had pitchers!

Best Wishes,
    Fernando Rivadavia

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast