Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rarity of Genlisea

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fernando, can you provide us with some links to them in the wild? Might be helpful to those of us trying to grow them. More knowledge is always better. (Though, I do agree with Johnny's setup, since mine is growing in the same conditions).

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also Fernando, can you give any estimation of average lifespan for the majority of the species? I am very interested in seeing how long we should be expecting individual plants to persist in cultivation. It may help detect specific cultivation issues for this plant.

Similar question: if anyone is growing Genlisea species out there, what's your longest-lived plant?

Also: does CO2/O2 have any bearing on the formation of underwater traps in Genlisea? Would anyone be willing to test something like an aquarium bubbler to see?
    Last edited by theplantman; 04-29-2014 at 01:18 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A few years ago, I had a Genlisa hispidula(? can't remember) in a setup quite similar to Cthulhu138's setup. I never really considered it to be particularly picky. It's been a while so it's tough to remember, but I think I mostly grew it on my grow shelf or as a windowsill plant. I may have had it outside for a short time, but the leaves got a bit burnt. As I recall, it grew much faster in the roots than in the leaves. I always thought they were kind of a rarity in cultivation, but I just think not many people grow them because they're not as "pretty" as drosera, neps, or sarrs.

I had forgotten that I managed to get it to flower.
    Last edited by ChronoKiento; 04-29-2014 at 02:58 PM.
    Growlist
    I'm back?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey guys,

You can find pics of Genlisea in the wild on CPUK forum (http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index.php?showforum=30) and the Brazilian CP forum (http://www.plantascarnivorasbr.com/f...forum.php?f=27). But all the known CP pics can be found on the CP Photo Finder (http://www.cpphotofinder.com/Genlisea.html).

However if you really want to know everything there is to know about Genlisea, I highly recommend you buy Andreas Fleischmann's fatastic Genlisea monograph (http://www.redfernnaturalhistory.com...enus-genlisea/).

Although there are several species that are annual in the wild, all of them seem to grow as perennials in cultivation. If you continuously make leaf cuttings, you could keep these plants forever. Extra CO2 would help, as it would help any and every plant exposed to higher CO2 levels.

All the best,
    Fernando Rivadavia

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theplantman View Post
    Similar question: if anyone is growing Genlisea species out there, what's your longest-lived plant?
    I had the same G. violacea 'Giant' for over seven years and it was super easy to propagate. I eventually lost it to a tropical worm that invaded some pots in a terrarium where I kept it. The worm burst right through the center of the plant like a science fiction horror movie. Instead of tracking down another genlisea plant to replace it, I re-allocated my growing space to helis, cephs and neps.

I picked up a few more genlisea plants recently and they are doing great in warm, humid conditions via the tray method. I do not find them to be difficult at all. I have some in highland conditions as well.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123