What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I find it so ironic that many species of Utricularia native to North America are not commercially available in the United States, yet are available from European sources.

For example, who has seen Utricularia resupinata, juncea, cornuta, or floridana for sale in the states? It doesn't seem like these plants are endangered yet it is easier to acquire endangered Sarracenia species and even cultivars than these species. Compared to native Utricularia species, even the species from Section Orchioides seem to be more common.

I will admit, if I lived close to any of these plants, I would probably collect seed or break off sections of them to propagate, and then try to distribute them to more people. It is just inexplicable to me that these species and many others seem to be almost unheard of in cultivation in the states, when surely some people must live near them. I'm not trying to say these plants should be collected in large numbers, but I wonder why nobody has made the effort to introduce them into cultivation yet.

I know exactly what you mean. I've been trying to get resupinata and cornuta for quite awhile now but no joy. Sometimes you can get the former from a certain Florida based vendor but I would really prefer plants from a more Northerly clime. I have noticed the same problem with cold temperate pings, though they can be hard to grow and maintain, at least that's the excuse, but in the case of many native Utricularia I don't see why that would be a problem.

It does seem crazy that plants that grow wild in say, Florida, and are sometimes considered a nuisance are for the most part only to be had from the Czech Republic! I have tried a couple of times to reach out to some folks in FL to say the next time you are out in a boat, reach out a grab a handful, wouldyaplease? I say that only partly in jest.

That's nothing, I have spent about 5 years chasing N.Rowanae and Tenax, they live in the same dam state as me, but no, yet I have seen many in Europe and the USA, same with a lot of our tropical utrics, common in Europe and the USA but hard to get here in Au.

Back