What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

U humboldtii

Hey.

I recently purchased one of these at California Carnivores. I received it bare root. All it's leaves are now dead and withered. I was wondering is this normal? It was broken off of the original plant. The soil I gave it was all New Zealand Sphagnum with the tinniest bit of Orchid Bark. Did I give it the right soil? I am growing it with my Heliamphora and Nepenthes in kind of water logged conditions. Am I doing everything right and it just lost it's leaves out of transplantation stress or am I doing something wrong?

Charlie

Did you get it shipped or buy it from the store? I wasn't aware they sold it online and even if they did I thought they usually shipped plants potted. And what do you mean it broke off the mother plant? Are you talking about a piece that you broke off for propagation?

I kept mine in really wet peat moss for a long time and it grew slowly. It grew seems to like it really wet. A picture of the plant would help. I keep mine in 100 percent humidity and try to keep it cool. Once it got too hot and a newly developing leaf shriveled up. However I've never had mature leaves just die, even when I transplanted it. Is there anything left above the soil?

Some leaves yes. I bought it from the store. They had large pots of it and broke some off for me.

hmmm speaking of such, Im curious to know if your humboldtii that you bought the store has normal looking humboldtii leaves? I bought one almost a year ago from their website and it turned up to be more of Utricularia praelonga I think. It didn't produce paddle leaves or fern leaves. They were tall grassy leaves and short round leaves basically Utricularia praelonga looking leaves.

hmmm speaking of such, Im curious to know if your humboldtii that you bought the store has normal looking humboldtii leaves? I bought one almost a year ago from their website and it turned up to be more of Utricularia praelonga I think. It didn't produce paddle leaves or fern leaves. They were tall grassy leaves and short round leaves basically Utricularia praelonga looking leaves.

Yep that sounds like praelonga. I know they used to sell praelonga on the website before, so maybe it got mixed up.

Ummm… I don't think so. What Peter said is Humboldtii starts out with long grass like leaves and as it matures gets the tear drop shaped ones.

Last edited:
Ummm… I don't think so. What Peter said is Humboldtii starts out with long grass like leaves and as it matures gets the tear drop shaped ones.
Not the case with any of the clones I've grown. In some conditions, they produce small fern-like leaves, but I can't recall ever seeing thin grass leaves like U. praelonga on a humbo.

Peter knows his CPs, so I suspect that there was a misunderstanding somewhere.

Last edited:
Not the case with any of the clones I've grown. In some conditions, they produce small fern-like leaves, but I can't recall ever seeing thin grass leaves like U. praelonga on a humbo.

Peter knows his CPs, so I suspect that there was a misunderstanding somewhere.

I can attest to this, although my plants produce fern-like leaves that look a bit different.

DSC_0038_1.jpg

These leaves are not long at all and reach maybe only 1 inch at the longest. Another thing to look for is runners.

My humboldtii never makes leaves like that. The paddled shaped leaves are the size of my hand, and the fern-like ones are only a few inches long.

Charlie, I'm assuming what you bought as Utricularia has long grass-like leaves then. Would you mind posting a picture?

I guess you can't upload a picture in that case then..

I recently purchased one of these at California Carnivores. I received it bare root. All it's leaves are now dead and withered.

Ok I'll post a pic today.

U. Humboldtii.
DSC_0473.jpg

I pulled off all the dead foliage. The long leaves were only (at the most) 3 inches long.

By long leaves, do you mean the paddle-shaped leaves on long stems? I'm having a hard time distinguishing the plant from the moss in your picture.

The main crown is at about the top of the picture.

thanks for sharing the picture, im interested in seeing its growth, keep us updated on it. For now based on those small leaves, it looks like what i had purchased online from them a while back as humboldtii which produced grass leaves and nothing bigger than those paddles like leaves u have on there. I never wanted to make a big deal since CC is reputable , yet I had second thoughts about it being humboldtii go figure, maybe its a mutated clone? or a hybrid clone? Wierd enough I also do recall seeing a U. tricolor clone that makes grass leaves and its regular leaves, altho the normal clone only produces short kidney leaves.

It looks kind of strange, and I'm curious why you chose to use the word crown to describe it, when Utricularia don't really have a central growth point. Anyways, good luck with the plant, and I hope you keep us updated.

... as humboldtii which produced grass leaves and nothing bigger than those paddles like leaves u have on there. I never wanted to make a big deal since CC is reputable , yet I had second thoughts about it being humboldtii go figure, maybe its a mutated clone? or a hybrid clone?
While I agree that CC is reputable & Peter has a ton of knowledge, if he is selling mislabeled stuff, he should be notified of it (& if he doesn't change - then called on it). A former president of ICPS duped a number of people when he sold U. tricolor as U. quelchii and U. prealonga as a new, not-yet-described Orchidioides.

Wierd enough I also do recall seeing a U. tricolor clone that makes grass leaves and its regular leaves, ...
Sounds like the description of U. praelonga.

It is starting to send up tiny green leaves every ware or that could just be something else. Anyway I really don't care if I got something else all I care about is having a knew Utricularia… even though I love humboldtii. I will post pic's if it starts to make growth that I can actually get a photo of.

I have that! when it got transplanted all it's kidney leaves went away, it made some like those of U. bisquamata and then went back to making kidney leaves. Interesting.
The tricolor was originally from natch greyes.

Last edited:
Back