Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: U humboldtii

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question U humboldtii

Hey.

I recently purchased one of these at California Carnivores. I received it bare root. All it's leaves are now dead and withered. I was wondering is this normal? It was broken off of the original plant. The soil I gave it was all New Zealand Sphagnum with the tinniest bit of Orchid Bark. Did I give it the right soil? I am growing it with my Heliamphora and Nepenthes in kind of water logged conditions. Am I doing everything right and it just lost it's leaves out of transplantation stress or am I doing something wrong?

Charlie

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you get it shipped or buy it from the store? I wasn't aware they sold it online and even if they did I thought they usually shipped plants potted. And what do you mean it broke off the mother plant? Are you talking about a piece that you broke off for propagation?

I kept mine in really wet peat moss for a long time and it grew slowly. It grew seems to like it really wet. A picture of the plant would help. I keep mine in 100 percent humidity and try to keep it cool. Once it got too hot and a newly developing leaf shriveled up. However I've never had mature leaves just die, even when I transplanted it. Is there anything left above the soil?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some leaves yes. I bought it from the store. They had large pots of it and broke some off for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmmm speaking of such, Im curious to know if your humboldtii that you bought the store has normal looking humboldtii leaves? I bought one almost a year ago from their website and it turned up to be more of Utricularia praelonga I think. It didn't produce paddle leaves or fern leaves. They were tall grassy leaves and short round leaves basically Utricularia praelonga looking leaves.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Salgadoxx8 View Post
    hmmm speaking of such, Im curious to know if your humboldtii that you bought the store has normal looking humboldtii leaves? I bought one almost a year ago from their website and it turned up to be more of Utricularia praelonga I think. It didn't produce paddle leaves or fern leaves. They were tall grassy leaves and short round leaves basically Utricularia praelonga looking leaves.
    Yep that sounds like praelonga. I know they used to sell praelonga on the website before, so maybe it got mixed up.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ummm… I don't think so. What Peter said is Humboldtii starts out with long grass like leaves and as it matures gets the tear drop shaped ones.
    Last edited by charlie; 04-04-2014 at 11:04 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie View Post
    Ummm… I don't think so. What Peter said is Humboldtii starts out with long grass like leaves and as it matures gets the tear drop shaped ones.
    Not the case with any of the clones I've grown. In some conditions, they produce small fern-like leaves, but I can't recall ever seeing thin grass leaves like U. praelonga on a humbo.

Peter knows his CPs, so I suspect that there was a misunderstanding somewhere.
    Last edited by RL7836; 04-04-2014 at 12:24 PM.
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RL7836 View Post
    Not the case with any of the clones I've grown. In some conditions, they produce small fern-like leaves, but I can't recall ever seeing thin grass leaves like U. praelonga on a humbo.

Peter knows his CPs, so I suspect that there was a misunderstanding somewhere.
    I can attest to this, although my plants produce fern-like leaves that look a bit different.

These leaves are not long at all and reach maybe only 1 inch at the longest. Another thing to look for is runners.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast