User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does utricularia propagate faster with any hormones ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does utricularia propagate faster with any hormones ?

Does any expert know if utricularia can propagate and grow faster with any hormones like rooting hormone or IAA Auxin? just wondering

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not and expert and haven't tried either of these, but I do spray mine with diluted SeaMax and I have seen substantial growth for some species. Some, like longifolia don't seem to see any effect, but others, such as praelonga do. Not sure why.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To respond to your question: I don't know

But why bother? With a decent methodology, even a 'difficult species propagates like a weed...
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ron:

Just to be clear, for orchioides, specifically, 'Jitka', you basically had a tray filled with live sphagnum, covered in a thin film of water, in high light, right? That's what I have, basically, and that seems to have worked to revive my plant (much better than where I had it before).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NatchGreyes View Post
    Just to be clear, for orchioides, specifically, 'Jitka', you basically had a tray filled with live sphagnum, covered in a thin film of water, in high light, right? That's what I have, basically, and that seems to have worked to revive my plant (much better than where I had it before).
    Yup - a live sphagnum slurry with roots laid around in it. The light wasn't even that bright ~14" below T-5's. When they develop leaves ~1/4" or larger - move to a pot of all live LFS. This simple method works great for all the large Orchidioides (not including Iperua species).
    Last edited by RL7836; 04-19-2014 at 04:41 PM.
    All the best,
    Ron

(with Pics)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RL7836 View Post
    Yup - a live sphagnum slurry with roots laid around in it. The light wasn't even that bright ~14" below T-5's. When they develop leaves ~1/4" or larger - move to a pot of all live LFS. This simple method works great for all the large Orchidioides (not including Iperua species).
    What do you use for the Iperua species? I heard from Cthulhu138 that live sphagnum is the ideal growing medium for all Orchioides but my main problem is that I don't have any live sphagnum. I've seen the pictures of your tank with the humboldtii growing in live sphagnum at the bottom of the tank, but do you normally use a different growing medium for it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great! That's essentially what I've done for my 'Jitka.'

Tanukimo, if you can get a plant in live sphagnum, the sphagnum should grow faster than the plant so you ought to be able to propagate it fairly quickly, at least, I have. Of course, I'm still looking for a source for more, since I do have a lot of plants. You might be able to use dead long fiber as a substitute, as it shouldn't be too too different.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanukimo View Post
    What do you use for the Iperua species? I heard from Cthulhu138 that live sphagnum is the ideal growing medium for all Orchioides but my main problem is that I don't have any live sphagnum. I've seen the pictures of your tank with the humboldtii growing in live sphagnum at the bottom of the tank, but do you normally use a different growing medium for it?
    I differentiated between Orchidioides & Iperua because they act differently for me (play by different rules). While I'm quite happy with my approach to growing the big Orchidioides - that's not really true with Iperua. Each Iperua species seems to have different preferences & I'm not satisfied that I've yet found optimal growing conditions for each - or the conditions I've found aren't reproducible (or convenient)**. As you mentioned, the best approach I've found for U. humboldtii is to set it free in the bottom of a larger tank & let it grow in the live LFS & sludge found down there. This isn't ideal or convenient. U. reniformis is one of the few large utrics to prefer peat-based mixes in my testing. U. geminiloba has yet to flower in my care - etc, etc, etc

Quote Originally Posted by NatchGreyes View Post
    You might be able to use dead long fiber as a substitute, as it shouldn't be too too different.
    That hasn't been my experience - for me, they have been quite different & I have not been able to grow many species as well with dead/dried LFS. However, understand that different approaches work for different people. I copied Barry's basket method for U. jamesoniana several times & killed the plant each time. Some people can grow U. quelchii sitting in water --- I can't (at least not consistently).

I believe that U. reniformis grows like a weed & flowers all summer for Bob Z. I seem to recall Jeremiah sharing a pic of U. nelumbifolia with more flowers in one pot than I'd ever seen before. I got the impression that U. geminiloba flowered regularly for Tony P. Each of these people (& any others with similar levels of success & growing time) would probably have better info on these species than I do.

** although some of my newer approaches are showing significant potential w/ U. humboldtii.
    All the best,
    Ron

(with Pics)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast