Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Starting an Utric Aquarium

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This book speaks of habits of most of the species of mosquitos around the world. http://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai=C...-2688262715030 The author lists and describes those that breed in stagnant water as well as those that prefer flowing/fresh water. One interesting note is he travels to the office building of the association devoted to eleminating malaria and its main vector. Outside, he finds small water puddles of water full of larvae. I consider them friends as larvae, enemies as adults and work with that. For control I mostly use Gambusia, mostquito fish. It works pretty well most of the time.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not gonna happen. Mosquito: The Story of Man's Deadliest Foe is the title.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jimscott, thanks for posting the pictures! It looks great! That's very close to what I am trying to accomplish. Right now I am just struggling with making the water less murky. I removed one gallon of murky water and replaced it with one gallon of pure distilled water kicking up a ton of peat in the process, of course, but I expect it to be much less murky after it settles a bit. I'm thinking that I really should have rinsed the peat more beforehand, but hindsight is 20/20.

On the bright side, the U. gibba already seems to be growing quite a bit.
    Growlist
    I'm back?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is my setup:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you put a rock or plate or something in the tank pour the water over that when you add it and it will help to prevent the peat from stirring up too much.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for posting more pictures Tanukimo! As far as water clarity goes, mine is starting to look a bit closer to what yours looks like (but still not quite). I think I'll just wait a little while before I do a water change, but I don't think it will really settle more than it already has. I also can't help but notice how much peat you have at the bottom of your tank. Mine has under two inches or so, do you think that I should've added more? I had quite a bit more in the tank but it just would not sink, so I had to remove it.

I will definitely have to put some kind of rock or something in the peat, but first I have to find something that won't leech nutrients into the water. If I get some plants that float on the surface, I could pour the water over them as well.
    Growlist
    I'm back?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No problem, ChronoKiento. Here are some more pictures of a more recent and simply setup. It is about two months old and is just a plastic jar with some peat at the bottom. I never changed the water after putting peat in so it is fairly brown, but it seems okay since Utricularia I received that weren't producing bladders have started making them after I put them in here, even though I don't really see any micro-organisms in the water. I don't really see a need to do water changes; the tank in my previous post has never had its water changed, and the plants are still doing well. I think you just need to have patience waiting for the water to clear up, and the plants should be fine even without it perfectly clear since they will be floating at the top.

Last edited by Tanukimo; 04-27-2014 at 08:55 PM. Reason: fixed picture

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast