Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Aquatic Utricularia Discussion Thread

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Salgadoxx8 View Post
    cool tub Tanukimo! I really like your photos, thanks for sharing such awesomeness xD
    Thanks Salgadoxx8! I hope the Utricularia have more room to spread out in there, and I'll post the updates here.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is my setup for Utricularia graminifolia. I don't have a lot, so I'm just using a plastic lunch box with peat at the bottom for it, but I hope to grow enough to sell or trade in the future. It is in about an inch of water with an inch of peat moss underneath.

Here is what it looked like when I first got it:

I bought it from an aquarium shop in San Francisco so it was already growing submersed. An employee told me that it needed high light and CO2 injection but I didn't have it, so I didn't expect it to do so well. I grew it on an east-facing windowsill for a month and eventually it grew like this:

I have heard that the spindly growth is due to lack of nutrients but I'm not sure how to provide more short of introducing water with microorganisms into the container, which I plan to try soon. In the aquarium trade people usually use substrate with more nutrients for Utricularia graminifolia so it is nice to see the plant do fine without it.

And here is a picture of the setup a few days ago (sorry for the bad picture quality):

I have gibba tangled with it and it has really exploded in growth, producing large bladders and growing very quickly. The graminifolia is slowly spreading, and I hope it grows to fill the container.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Took a few pictures of Utricularia bremii this morning.

This month marks my first year of successfully growing this species. Some of the plants are already starting to produce turions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you all have any tips on keeping algal growth down?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by collin View Post
    Do you all have any tips on keeping algal growth down?
    Not really. I remove algae from the tub above manually. Keeping companion plants like duckweed or water hyacinth can help, but make sure you remove dying plant matter before algae has a chance to settle on it. Some species are definitely pickier about algae than others.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use snail to control the algae grow on the Utrics and other companion plant surface. They did a very good job.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use snail to control the algae grow on the Utrics and other companion plant surface. They did a very good job.

Tanukimo, do you have big pic of U bremii? It seems the one i keep is not similar to the one you show here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, the following Australian species are happy as affixed aquatics and when I am at my greenhouse this weekend I will take a few pics. Uliginosa (some varieties more so than others thrive at a depth of 30-40cm and in the wild 2M is no shock), Bifida, Limosa, Dichotoma, Nivea (only to 5cm before flowering ceases), Monanthos, Geofrayii (as per nivea at 5cm) and Caerula.
    These are all ones I have growing as permanent affixed aquatics, but I have seen a few more wild plants (like chrysantha) in depths of 20-30cm for months on end and happy with flowers, though my chrysantha will not grow in more than 3-4cm before they start to die off a couple months in, so there must be a trick to it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast