Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Aquatic Utricularia Discussion Thread

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aquatic Utricularia Discussion Thread

If there is any interest, I thought it would be nice to start a thread for discussing aquatic Utricularia, where we can share our setups, pictures of our plants, etc. I will freely admit that this idea came from RL7836's Orchidioides thread, but there shouldn't be much overlap with that thread, so I hope it is fine. Of course, if you are growing a normally terrestrial species aquatically, it would be great if you posted about that here.

It seems to me that this group of CPs is somewhat underappreciated, even though the usual argument against Utricularia that you can't see their traps is not true for aquatics. Granted, their flowers can't really compare to those of the terrestrials, but at least for the suspended aquatics, you are able to see the plants in their entirety. I mean, for how many carnivorous plants are you able to do that? Also, there doesn't seem to be much information on the web about growing affixed aquatics such Utricularia minor or intermedia, so it would be nice if people growing those could contribute here.

I'll start the thread by adding a few links.

Plants in Situ:
    Utricularia poconensis in Brazil
    Utricularia warmingii in Brazil
    Utricularia reflexa in Zambia
    Utricularia volubilis in Australia
    Utricularia dichotoma in Australia
    Utricularia benjaminiana in French Guyana
    Utricularia myriocista in French Guyana
    Utricularia viscosa in French Guyana
    Utricularia cymbantha in Swaziland
    Utricularia gibba and punctata in Thailand

Cultivation:
    Flytrapcare thread with growing info
    Chris Fieger on cultivation
    Barry Rice's FAQ on suspended and affixed species
    RSS's Utricularia graminifolia setup
    NatchGreyes on growing aquatic Utricularia and Aldrovanda
    Last edited by Tanukimo; 05-15-2014 at 10:41 PM. Reason: added info

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are a few photos of my current Utric graminifolia setup. Its more of a marginal setup than an aquatic one, but the species will easily grow fully aquatic if it wants too.

Overview when I set it up.

DSC_0832 by randallsimpson, on Flickr

Pump drawing water from the false bottom back to the main grow area.

DSC_0834 by randallsimpson, on Flickr

Here is the false bottom.

DSC_0833 by randallsimpson, on Flickr

The original seed section.

DSC_0831 by randallsimpson, on Flickr

Some photos from today, here is the area showing the false bottom again with some aquatic/marginal UG growth.

DSC_0336 by randallsimpson, on Flickr

Some fully aquatic UG growth.

DSC_0337 by randallsimpson, on Flickr

What the main seeded area looks like.

DSC_0338 by randallsimpson, on Flickr

Here is most of the info I've wrote about UG. http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...t=graminifolia

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the contributions! RSS, I've added your UG setup to the cultivation section in the first post. I've recently started growing it myself, and surprisingly it hasn't been as picky as I was told it was.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine is pretty much the same as Jim's. You can read about it here and here.

Basically, I threw a few handfuls of sphagnum in an aquarium, filled it with water, put in a few aquatic plants (and a small scoop of pond water for the Daphina and other "food"), threw in U. gibba, and have been fortunate to have had other growers send some more aquatics my way. Since I'm in a small apartment in chilly New Hampshire, I can't use a large aquarium or tub that I would place outside, so I use artificial light.

Now that it has warmed up, I'm planning on refreshing the pond water/prey.

I don't grow any terrestrials as aquatics, like RSS, even though I have a few that I could. It's just too much of a hassle to set-up something that would definitely work. (All the aquatics I grow are easy species).

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the contribution NatchGreyes. I've added your links to the first post. I definitely plan to try growing some terrestrials as aquatics when I go home next week.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are some pictures of my various setups.

This is my oldest setup. It is a 10 gallon fish tank with RO water. I have had it since July of last year. It gets about six hours of light a day from two fluorescent light bulbs. I have Utricularia geminiscapa and Utricularia gibba growing in it. The substrate is laterite on top of an inch of peat moss. There are a few snails inside the tank but no other livestock. The geminiscapa makes bladders on and off, which is something I have seen with other aquatic species too. I'm not sure if it is due to a fall in the prey population or another reason.

Pictures from five months ago:

Pictures from a few days ago:

Here is a temporary tank I made for Utricularia foliosa, Utricularia striata, and Utricularia gibba a month ago. However I stopped using it as it was too small. It was good while it lasted; I had bladders that were 1/4 of an inch on the striata. The substrate was an inch of pure peat moss. When I received the plants, none of them had bladders except for the gibba but they started developing them after a while. It would have been interesting to see if the plants would have stopped producing bladders after a while.

And here is my post recent endeavor: a plastic tub of Utricularia growing outside. The substrate is two inches of peat moss with RO water. I have moved the foliosa and striata there. Some of it has taken on a reddish color. I have actually had this setup for quite a while and I tried growing macrorhiza in there first, but it died after I left the lid on to prevent evaporation. I've taken it off now so I will need to replenish the water fairly often.

The macrorhiza while it was still alive:

The tub currently:

Last edited by Tanukimo; 05-25-2014 at 02:33 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cool tub Tanukimo! I really like your photos, thanks for sharing such awesomeness xD
    Gen 1:11

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast