Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Aldrovanda Care Thread

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did lose the U. gibba as well. A friend recently re-supplied me with both. I just replenish the evaporated water with water from the bog. I guess there's enough critters in there to keep them going. The U. gibba and the snails that I don't remove keep the algae down.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have another question, the growth point on this plant appears to be dying. I attributed it to the siphoning of energy by the side shoots it put out. My questions are: Has anyone experienced the plant dying from making too many side shoots? & Is my diagnosis correct?

I have separated the side shoots. I am in the process of constructing a new setup, but I still need to wait for it to cycle properly.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the decline is more that the plant isn't getting the nutrients it needs rather than making too many sideshoots. If your growing conditions are ideal the plant shouldn't decline even after making sideshoots. Is there enough food for the plant in your setup?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh yes, almost every trap has a mosquito larva in it. Also, the other Aldro is perfectly fine and happy, which leads me to believe that this isn't an external issue. This particular plant made two offshoots while the other only has one, and once I separated the offshoots, what is left of the growth point on this plant seems to be recovering.

The only issue involving conditions that I can think of involve water temperature. The water temperature can rise during the day here (it's been in the upper 90s here recently) and the water can get quite warm.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure what the problem is, but I'm pretty sure it is not the water temperature, because supposedly higher water temperatures induce flowering, so it doesn't seem like Aldrovanda would have problems with it.Cold water on the other hand would be a problem.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My replacement plant isn't doing much at the 'business end', but is also sending out a new shoot from the side:

side shoot

business end

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bio View Post
    I have another question, the growth point on this plant appears to be dying. I attributed it to the siphoning of energy by the side shoots it put out. My questions are: Has anyone experienced the plant dying from making too many side shoots? & Is my diagnosis correct?

I have separated the side shoots. I am in the process of constructing a new setup, but I still need to wait for it to cycle properly.
    I have found that some of the best growing advice for Aldrovanda is found on a Czech website (Adamec & Pásek); very worthy of a good read for introductory purposes if you're not familiar with the website. On their photo gallery, at the very bottom of the page under the heading "Various" are some shots of diseased Aldrovanda that look much like yours.

"Disease.jpg: Typical symptoms of „Aldrovanda disease“ in Australian plants from outdoor cultivation in aquaria (4 plants from the top) and in Japanese plants (2 plants from the bottom). The reasons for this disease are still unclear but probably it is boron deficiency, Aug 2000; LA."

I have never seen my Aldrovanda do this. I grow mine in a small outdoor tub with local soil (adobe) with lots of companion plants (Machaerina rubiginosa, Sagittaria sagittifolia, and Eleocharis dulcis) along with a healthy population of Ostracods and Physa snails. I've never seen side shoots leading to the death of the main growing point, but they can arise if the growing tip is mechanically damaged.
    Last edited by Clue; 06-13-2014 at 11:01 AM.
    "I, for one, can't wait to grow Nepenthes extincta!"
    Plant List ; blog

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The plant did recover after I removed the side shoots. I've seen that picture, and it seems similar, but mine seemed like it had all the energy sucked out of it. There was also an amount of algae in the tank, and I moved the plants to a better setup.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast