Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Aldrovanda Care Thread

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bio View Post
    There was also an amount of algae in the tank, and I moved the plants to a better setup.
    That would explain a decline. Algae will suck the life out of Aldrovanda very quickly. I would check to make sure that it is all gone from your plants. Great to hear that your plant recovered.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having U. gibba, as well as other companion plants, and the inevitable snails, effectively keeps algae in control.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A large amount of my plants in a relatively new set up (less than a year) have very quickly turned bluegreen save for the tips. 80% or more of the biomass is dead or decaying. A query to one of the experts with this plant got this reply. This happened quite quickly.

Hi Paul,

Sadly, welcome to the soul-crippling world of Aldrovanda cultivation! I have come across this problem before, however I'm still at a loss as to a potential cause. My suspicion is that it is bacteriological in origin, given that it affects predominantly old growth. My suggestion- set up a brand new tank with new water and new substrate, and transfer a number of plants (say 50%) into it after washing them vigorously in fresh water. Try to remove all of the decomposing material so as not to pollute the new tank- you're still in the summer growth phase, so they can probably handle being cut back very severely (though are likely to be stressed from this condition as it is).

My best wishes that you can salvage some plants, and that they pick up in your original cultivation tank!

This stinks, and I have not yet formulated a greater plan. For now, I have removed most of the problem material...pulled the tips removed the decayed/decaying material and put the green tips back and have changed about a tenth of the water. Will monitor and see if it stops or goes on. Other Aldrovanda in other nearby areas seems ok. Could be a crash for other reasons...could not say. Anyone have the ability to culture this stuff and see what it might be? Don't know who well that would go as there is duckweed and all manner of other stuff together. But I guess one could seperate it out in some way...

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That sucks. I've heard that it is difficult to keep the plant alive long-term even though in the short term it spreads rapidly. I have found that algae likes to stay on old growth as well, making it difficult to remove it completely, but that probably isn't your problem.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very much so. I am bummed but ok with other healthy plants in other features...unless it should find a way to spread to all of them. That would really suck. But I am monitoring the tips to see if they will come back and get over whatever caused this.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123