Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Aldrovanda Care Thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aldrovanda Care Thread

I believe that Aldrovanda has a (mostly) undeserved reputation for being hard to grow, and I think that is one of the reasons why it isn't as popular as it should be. If the secrets and key components of it's cultivation are shared, in detail and from the experience of successful growers, then Aldrovanda might become more popular. Advice from successful growers should be shared and questions should be asked. Photos are wanted! Questions are about aquatic utrics are also encouraged.

I'll go first:
    How long does it take Aldrovanda to start to settle in and start growing after you receive them? It's been less than a week, and mine are already starting to multiply. Does that sound right for Aldrovanda?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the conditions are right, it should start growing right away. One person told me that he figured two scenarios, either full blown growing like crazy, or stagnated. I have it growing in several water features, from under a pint to ten gallons to maybe 15 or more. People with more experience than I have said it is all about water ecology much more than water chemistry. I agree. You could technically, grow prey in one area/vessel (wessel if you are Mr. Scott) and have your Aldrovanda in a container with water and no substrate, and just net out some prey from time to time and feed it that way, and probably do ok. Over time, who knows? I usually keep a bucket or three with old pitchers and reedy plant residue soaking in soft water, and net out prey and/or pour water into the features. Either way, they get an influx of prey from that, though if you set up your features right, they can be pretty much self sustaining. At least in the warmer times. In winter they go dormant, so prey is not an issue. So long as the hibernating bodies (turions) do not freeze, you will probably get new plants next year. I figure ideally, start out with something ten gallons or better, add a couple of inches of lfs and maybe peat moss, maybe some reedy plant leaves chopped up, ideally dry. Cover that with aquatic plant soil or kitty litter, not scented or clumping...then if you wish cover that with gravel and or pebbles. You want to have a substrate from 1/3 to 2/3 of the depth of your tank or planter. Add in aged water or rainwater, and let it sit for days, weeks, or up to a couple of months. Everything will settle out, add your plant or plants, then add some monocots, cyperus, pickerelweed, and other aquatics, maybe some duckweed or floating utrics. Keep the top open from 30% to 70%. If the mosquito larvae become a problem you can add a few mosquito fish, Gambusia. I like to do that just for the variety. Watch for algae and so that your other plants do not overgrow the area. Of course, if you had a large, shallow pond that would be much better. Most of us won't have access to that.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had one, recently, that went from this:

to this:

in a couple of weeks.

I have been using a 10 gallon fish tank and managed to get through a 4 seasons.... and then I killed them with creek water. The bog water was conducive to growth, but the creek water slowly killed them. Here's some picture from a few years ago:

You can see companion plants, including U. gibba. A 10 gallon tank really isn't enough, though. A kiddie pool that allows for greater surface area and ~4" of water is more ideal.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From my experience growing Aldrovanda, two factors are important to growth: a lack of algae and either regular feeding or CO2 injection. Algae loves to grow on Aldrovanda and will smother it quickly if given the chance. Using CO2 injection can somewhat help, but if there already is algae then you will probably still lose the Aldrovanda. CO2 injection can also substitute for feeding; my Aldrovanda grew quickly in a fish tank where there was little to eat, although I would feed it Daphnia for fun from time to time. Algae started growing after my CO2 setup broke and I lost all my Aldrovanda. Even without algae, if there is not enough food or CO2, the plant will grow smaller and smaller and eventually die off. While it is growing, though, it splits a lot and the population can easily double in a few weeks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @pearldiver: I agree that ecology is more important. I am growing Aldrovanda in an aquatic plant garden that I set up for them years ago, but only recently got Aldrovanda and U. gibba, so during that time the regular plants grew and mosquito larvae and microbes became established, and as a result, algae has never been a problem.

@jimscott: That's what the water garden looks like, only with much less U. gibba, and more of the water plants. I'm sorry to hear that you lost your Aldrovanda. It was a nice setup. Did you lose the gibba too?

@Tanukimo: CO2 injection sounds complicated and unnecessary for outdoor setups from what I've read. If the plants get enough food then they should be fine, right?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sure, if you have Daphnia and mosquito larvae on hand you don't need CO2. But if you have an aquarium with CO2 injection already, it makes growing Aldrovanda much easier.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My issue with C02 injection is what if it fails, and populations/growth rates are artificially or whatever high, would you then have a crash? Also, you can kill your fish (assuming you have any) if the levels get too high. In some systems it makes great sense, not so much so for me and mine that are outdoors. Each to his or her own, just not for me.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Forgot to add, you have to buy it, maintain it or jerryrig something, and maintain that. Again, not for me. Some of the more attractive aquatic aquarium plants I hear almost require it. Indoors tropical setups with the more Euro-style "agriculture."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast