What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Growing utrics in clear glass

Hi

Just wondering if anyone has tried growing terrestrial in clear glass ? Was there an algae problem ? Any other issues ?

Thanks

I have U. longifolia growing in a clear plastic container. There isn't any algae growing on the inside of it, yet. I've only had it for a few weeks, but the stolons and bladders are already growing against the plastic.

Grow it in glass and put that in a pot cover. Should prevent any algae problem.

I have several. If not covered, you just have to clean them out from time to time. It helps to have a pot within a pot sort of affair to make that easier.

I use small glass fish bowls for several terrestrials and 3-10L fish bowls for aquatics, as well as 3-4foot tanks.
Plants grown in success for a few years now include
U.Uliginosa
U.Bifida
U.Dichotoma
U.Limosa
U.Caerula
U.Longifolia

U.Gibba
U.stellaris
U.Aurea

For the terrestrials I find a soil of pure spag or 1:3 sand/spag works best (dried spag not live), with a fluctuating water level, for aquatics anything from premium potting mix to peat or spag and sand works well, I have never had an issue with algae in the terrestrial bowls, but I did with Aurea so I added Daphnia and horn snail (horn snail do not eat utrics) and they cleared it up.

So in summary no problem, but they do start growing leaves underground on the side of the bowls when they hit light, so now and then I had to thin them out as I had green bowls of leaves and couldn't see the traps.

Long post, all reposts from other threads, hopefully its of use.

I'm assuming that by terrestrial you mean the medium and not the species. Algae/moss/whatnot are generally an issue with any moist/wet medium. The best option for keeping these to a minimum would be a light blocking sleeve for the glass unground part and a top layer of "dryer" medium. Both of these would reduce the overall growth of the Utric thou. I've been moving away from peat for years, I just don't feel its the right medium for CPs. I've had good luck with muds/sphagnum moss/tree fern/inorganic mediums and more recently seed starting sponges. With all I've learned in the last few years I just can not recommend peat/sand anymore, but I don't grow a lot of terrestrial Utrics anymore either.

Here are some old photos from U. quelchii growing in a setup I think a lot of Utrics would love. I have not had any algae issues yet with this setup, I believe the sphagnum is simply outcompeting the algae for nutrients. I've changed the water a time or two and I'll need to trim the sphagnum soon but the plant seems really happy with the arrangement. There is airflow down into the glass container part due to the sphagnum "top" but at the same time its very humid under the top. When you walk by all you need todo is take a quick look at the sphagnum and if its healthy its likely the Utric is also.

Utricularia quelchii by randallsimpson, on Flickr

Utricularia graminifolia growing on some pond mud, currently this setup is algae/moss/whatnot infested. Atleast on the other side of the tank, the Utric will likely overrun and outcompete the algae/mosses overtime.

Utricularia graminifolia by randallsimpson, on Flickr
Underwater side view.

Utricularia graminifolia by randallsimpson, on Flickr

U. 'Jitka' in a jar with a tree fern totem/sphagnum moss top, water changed every 3-4 months I'd guess. Growing well and happy, mosses are an issue.

DSC_0335 by randallsimpson, on Flickr

Another U. quelchii this one is a net pot inside a solo cup with some tree fern fibers + sphagnum moss. Water changed about once a year I'd guess. No issues at all so far. I have about 5 different species of Utrics growing in these cups. The newest ones are actually a short net pot filled with tree fern fibers inside a taller net pot with some sphagnum moss inside the solo cup with about 1/4-1/2" of water as a goal, but I don't watch them closely.

2.5g completely sealed up fish tank with Utric sandersonii and some random mediums, its been sealed for years. The "harvesting" tool was accidentally left in there, a very neglected setup. Mostly sphagnum moss is growing along with the Utric sandersonii.

DSC_0046 by randallsimpson, on Flickr

Back