While this species is now available in Europe, there still aren't that many people growing it. I thought it would be a good idea to start this thread to pool whatever info we have & hopefully make it easier for all growers to be successful.
Observations - (would be nice if someone who has Taylor could share the official info)
- leaves - narrow & long - typically adding wisps of root-like structures as they age
- tubers ~1/8" & shaped like a blunt rugby ball (the ones I've seen)
- flowers - somewhat angular & elongated compared to Orchidioides - unique color
- dormancy - unlike most Orchidioides where dormancy is usually optional (or just a slowing of growth), it appears that a mandatory rest period occurs
- classification - section Chelidon - although Barry believes it may have some link to section Orchidioides
Wiki - has range & elevation info
Apoplast on ICPS & OCPS
Marc S on CPUK (multiple posts on different pages w/ lots of other cp porn)
Vince81 on CPUK (several posts & insane pics)
Rosolis76 on CPUK
I received a few small tubers in the end of May 2013. I placed them in a small pot of live LFS (& hoped). There was also a piece of severed foliage that was still green - this I placed in sopping wet live LFS. Thankfully, both the tubers (2) & leaf grew new foliage. I placed a piece in a 4" x 4" x 4" netpot of live LFS & another small piece on an ecoweb/hygrolon plaque. After growing for a few months, all foliage died back. I could see a tuber on the ecoweb & hoped there were others. Months passed with no growth (from what I found online, it does not appear that the mountains where this plant grows has a truly arid dry period - so I kept the LFS moist. (I would love to know if this is appropriate or a dryer rest is better). At some point, I searched for tubers in the small original container & found none -- ditto with the netpot. I could still see one tuber on the plaque but it wouldn't sprout. My luck with single Orchidioides tubers has been horrible so I figured I'd lost the species. I kept the LFS moist & green in the netpot & small dish & periodically watered the plaque (however, I did eventually harvest live LFS from the small pot for use elsewhere - might as well use it). A few months ago. I noticed growth in the netpot & then in the small pot. Evidently there were tubers I hadn't found in both. Several weeks ago, I noticed stalks coming up in the netpot & a few days ago, the flowers opened. The ecoweb/hygrolon plaque now has growth that is approx 4-6 weeks behind the others.
Plaque (note dry areas on top - wicking definitely has it's limits)
Tuber is visible on left (approx 1" from bottom)