What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

U. Nelumbifolia flowers start out like....?

Can anyone confirm if these are flower stalks coming up? They're way thicker than normal leaf stalks... I'm just curious and impatient and couldn't find anything on Google haha.
ipTXn9BTj

Yup. Looks like you've got some flowers coming up there Megan.

I'm trying to remember what my flowers looked like, but those look more like runners to me. This utric makes runners like crazy so if you are familiar with those and the new stalks look different then maybe...

Last edited:
Okay haha I'll keep an eye on them, if they are flowers then I feel bad for the plant since I just divided it up a bunch haha. I'll keep this updated :) Thanks guys!

I've grown U.nelumbifolia for about 4 years now and I've never seen runners that resemble newly emerging flower stalks. Mine just got done with a couple stalks and is working on a few more now.

Here's what you'll have to look forward to soon.

Pleasure.
Here are a few pics of my flowers last year. If I find a early flower stalk I will post a pic here for reference.

You beat me to punch!

Take Johnny's advise. I haven't seen them in awhile.

Oh wow those flowers are beautiful!!!! I am very excited for mine to flower, I wasn't expecting them to flower so soon! Thanks a bunch guys!!

I really wish I had the ability to actually grow this species... mine are pretty much in stasis. :L

When my plant sent up runners, they looked somewhat thinner than normal leaves, and certainly not as thick as the ones in your photo.

I don't find Nelumbifolia to be as picky as some other species but what is your medium like? I don't have mine in live sphag but I know that is what they're happiest in, if you cant provide that then as aerated a mixture as possible. Another thing is most people might tell you not to sit these guys in water, I'm not sure how accurate that is towards nelumbifolia, I had mine in a tray of water for a few months and it did just fine (some other species will hate that) so if you have it sitting in water maybe take it out of there?

That's what stumps me too, I have it in live sphagnum aerated with perlite, kept wet but not sitting in water. :p
I tried keeping it drier earlier, but it grew really slowly. Oddly enough it took off like a rocket for the two weeks I went back home in San Diego, and then stopped again once I got back here in Nashville.

In any case, I moved a small chunk into a tall jar with an inch of water at the bottom, but not reaching up to the live sphag the utric is in. Hopefully it'll do better in there.

Last edited:
I found it did not like super bright light. In those conditions it made leaves under the substrate. Below the live sphagnum

Hmmm makes me curious too.. what kind of lighting do you have them in? (Woohoo for San Diego :D)
EDIT: yea like kulamauiman said, my next guess was going to be maybe you have it in too much light

Last edited:
Hm, that could be one reason. I have it a few inches from some 2800 lumen CFLs in a west facing window. I think it's more than a lighting issue though, as underground the plant didn't grow very much either.

Maybe give it a try without the light and just the window and see what happens, it wont hurt anything :D

That's going to be difficult. :p My SA Drosera are under the same lights. Perhaps I'll move it to a shadier corner or use foil to block the light.

By the way, what are your temps?

Ahhh I see difficult situation. Temps for my utrics or just the weather in general haha?
Its been mid to high 70s here on the coast and looks like its going to stay that way for a while :)

I keep my U. Nelumbifolia very very wet and it has grown like this for years. It's in an east facing window sill and is in flower right now. Temps can go as low as 40f with no problems.

Any signs of flower buds?

No flower bud yet but here's a picture of what it's doing
20ba938f0828f07318845812f869f227.jpg

Back