I decided to make a thread for the tub I am using to grow my Orchidioides Utricularia. The first post can be found in the section Orchidioides discussion thread.I started this a little more than a month ago, with Utricularia reniformis and asplundii. Currently in addition to those I have alpina, endresii, geminiloba, nelumbifolia, and praetermissa.
I am using long-fibered sphagnum with some live sphagnum mixed in. When I first got the endresii, it was just a mass of tubers and traps about an inch across. Since then, it has made two tiny leaves.
I was afraid that it would rot in straight LFS, so I wrapped it up in live sphagnum and it looks like it is doing fine. I have also done the same thing with the other species, with the exceptions of nelumbifolia and reniformis. Ideally, the top of the medium would be completely made up of live sphagnum, but I don't have enough so I'm making do with what I have. I have also noticed that some of the LFS has begun to come alive and grow slowly.
Reniformis appears to be doing very well in this tub. I see lots of new growth and it has begun to spread, making many plantlets in the LFS. Many of these have leaves only a few millimeters wide. Surprisingly, most of the new growth is around the pieces of the plant that separated from the main one that I planted throughout the container, and not in the main clump.
You can see some of the plantlets show in this picture:
The praetermissa has also done better than I expected.
The first picture is from when I first got the plant. In the second you can see that the leaf that was unrolling in the first picture has fully developed. The alpina was in a similar situation when I got it with a developing leaf but it looks like that leaf is not going to form, which really surprised me given its reputation as an easy plant.
I didn't have enough live sphagnum to wrap that plant in live sphagnum, although I did wrap a piece of the plant that came off when I planted the first one. I don't know if the leaf in the bottom left corner was already there or not, but I hope it develops properly.
I wasn't sure about the identity of the nelumbifolia (another plant I accidentally split into two while unpacking) I got until I looked at the bladders and saw a couple of leaves developing. The first leaf the plant put out was reniform, so I thought it was reniformis. But looking at pictures I had taken of the leaf before, I realized that it had slowly unfolded, which I have never seen with reniformis.
I found the same thing on the other section of stolon when it put up a leaf:
Also, the bladders are much larger than the bladders on my reniformis (and look remarkably like Utricularia humboldtii bladders to me), so I think I have the real deal. When I got the plant, it had what looked like runners, but I think their development has been aborted.
I'm not sure if the geminiloba has grown. It came growing in a chunk of live sphagnum when I got it, so all I did was wrap some more live sphagnum around it and stick it into the LFS. I hope it doesn't just stay on the live sphagnum that it came in. I noticed a shoot growing up that I thought was either a new leaf or a moss sporophyte, but it turned out to be a Drosera binata leaf, which I am leaving in there for now.