Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fool-proof Adlrovanda culture... in a bucket

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last year, taking the advice of pearldiver, I set up something similar for Aldrovanda with associate plants that I received from him. It worked really well at first. There were all kinds of things living in the water and the Aldrovanda really took off. I added Utricularia aurea and that really did well too. Unfortunately, after a year the bucket looks like this:

The Aldrovanda did manage to survive the winter but a couple months ago I was only able to find one remaining plant that was basically completely covered in algae.

I don't think that plant is alive anymore. I have also tried growing Utricularia bremii, australis, inflata, and foliosa there. The latter two seem to have disappeared and the australis is currently becoming a turion. Even Utricularia gibba that I threw in there seems to have died off.

Utricularia bremii doesn't seem to care about algae, though, and I would guess that I have over 30 plants currently in the container, which is quite a bit larger than 5 gallons.

Not trying to dissuade anyone from trying this, but it doesn't seem to have worked for me for Aldrovanda at least. If it works for you, great!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have set up two similar 5-gallon bucket this spring. All plants and Utrics do well currently. Hopefully, they can go over the winter. Let's see.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just saw this post earlier today. I went out and bought a white 5-gallon bucket. Going to follow the instructions above and hope for the best. I don't have any Aldrovanda yet but for now will go out to the local aquarium store and buy some aquatic plants to throw in to get the system started. Thanks to everyone for sharing all of this info - I now believe I stand a chance of growing Aldrovanda haha. I specifically live in zone 5. I have an unheated garage but it gets very cold (snow on my car at night in the garage is often still there the next morning). My basement temps never dip below 50-55*F. Anybody have any suggestions if I should try to leave it in my garage or keep it in my basement under lights?

Thanks

A leuco by any other name would still be as gluttonous. CorneliusSchrute's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go for the basement, friend. The strain I have will survive ffreezing, but not all will. I am not sure how much freezing mine will survive, either.

Look for cattails or water hyacinth. They are your best bet for a quickly balanced ecology.
    Last edited by CorneliusSchrute; 09-12-2015 at 03:04 PM.
    Corey Bennett

My cultivated vegetation, carnivorous and otherwise...

Formerly cbennett4041

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok great thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What are those cute little circular leafed plants in ur bucket cornelious? I really would like to make a small utric or aldo living bog aquarium and ive been looking for water loving plants and cp companion plants that will benefit eachother and look good in the tank and other then catails and Lillypads and waterlilly's im not sure what would look pretty yet be useful for the idea. I like your bucket and the plants you have in it

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KATastrophe View Post
    What are those cute little circular leafed plants in ur bucket cornelious?
    That's a species of Hydrocotyle, maybe H. verticillata.

My advice for anyone trying Aldrovanda setups is to use a good amount of soil and plant it heavily with companion plants. The companion plants seem to keep nutrient levels in the water at levels lower than algae prefer. Some of my cultures have failed over the years due to fluctuating temperatures that stalled the growth of the companion plants like Myriophyllum and Rotala, allowing algae to gain a foothold while the companion plants struggled to catch up to the weather. If my cultures were more densely planted, it's likely that the sheer amount of companion plants would buffer their poor amount of growth during bad weather. Also, letting the culture establish itself before the introduction of Aldrovanda will allow plants and prey animals to stabilize and problems with any new setup, like early algae blooms due to nutrient spikes, won't affect the Aldrovanda.
    "I, for one, can't wait to grow Nepenthes extincta!"
    Plant List ; blog

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The kitty litter is a reasonably good substitute for aquatic plant soil and will slowly release some minerals good for Aldrovanda culture, I have heard.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast