Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Utricularia geminiloba help

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Utricularia geminiloba help

Most of my plants are doing well in my Orchidioides setup, but I'm not sure about my Utricularia geminiloba. When I got it, it had quite a few healthy-looking leaves.

However now there are only two leaves (one of which is new). One of the leaves is covered by the moss.

Is geminiloba more difficult to grow than most of the other Orchidioides? The entire plant is wrapped up in live sphagnum. The days are in the high 70s and the nights are in the low 60s. The lighting is T5s for 10 hours a day, and humidity is constantly at least 70-80%. I have had it for three months.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IIRC, U. geminiloba is part of the former Iperua utrics, which do well in conditions that are somewhat different from the other members of sect. Orchidioides.
    "Potential has a shelf life." -Margaret Atwood
    My meager growlist

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't got this one completely figured out yet but it seems to want a dryer dormancy period.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From sectiion Iperua not sect. Orchidioides. Sounds like it likes cooler temperatures.

http://www.carnivorousplants.org/cpn...30n3p71_74.pdf

"Judging from what I observed in the wild, I would say U. geminiloba can be grown in moist soil year-round, without a dry dormancy. It also seems to like indirect sunlight, high air humidity and constantly cool temperatures between 10 and 25C."
    Last edited by Not a Number; 07-18-2015 at 09:01 AM.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a Number View Post
    From sectiion Iperua not sect. Orchidioides. Sounds like it likes cooler temperatures.
    Section Iperua has been abandoned and the 2 have been again combined since the plants in section Iperua were found to be paraphyletic rather than monophyletic as once believed.