Likes Likes:  1
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Getting Longifolia to Bloom

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RL7836 View Post
    I had no success flowering either U. longifolia or U. reniformis in my basement under lights (whether I changed photoperiod or not). However moving both species to an east-facing window here in the Northeast in autumn provided the conditions for both to flower in the spring. The last U. reniformis on the windowsill flowered all summer.

I don't know what specific conditions acted as catalysts but as you'd expect, the plants received a dose of seasonal temp & photoperiod changes.
    'Useful information. Mine has been in the garage window for months now so I have my fingers crossed. I just saw a plant of the same clone with dried flowers on it so I know it can be done! Would you happen to have any photos? I could use some inspiration.
    - Mark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bluemax View Post
    Would you happen to have any photos? I could use some inspiration.
    Sure, there's a bunch of pics in my growlist (bottom section) for you to sort through. This one is probably my fave:**

Besides being attractive (imho), I like this pic because it shows both a newly unfurling flower, four blooms of various ages & a growing seedpod of a previously-pollinated flower - all on the same stalk.

The only times I haven't had U. longifolia & U. reniformis flower in my window was when the plants were either thoroughly & excessively potbound or when they were not mature / large enough to have the energy to make a flower.

** LOL - All of my pics over the years have been posted using Photobucket. Apparently Adobe Flash is an integral part of their website. I cannot even copy the img url to repost one of my pics ever since I evicted Flash from my computer. Here's the pic freshly uploaded via Flickr (which apparently doesn't use Flash - thankfully).

While searching my files for the pic, I came across an older / saved web pic of Fernando showing a U. longifolia in habitat, clearly demonstrating the origins of it's name ...
    Last edited by RL7836; 02-07-2016 at 12:07 PM.
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, amigo! Inspiration received.
    - Mark

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12