What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Urtricularia fulva care

Hello,
I want to keep urtricularia fulva but I don't seem to find much information about Charing for these little guys. I live in the Netherlands and just thought of keeping them next to my tropical drosera's. Is that okay? Do they need a dry season or a (overfloating) wet season to get them to flower or has it something to do with the light? Just give me tips caring for those beautiful plants :).
Gr. Teye

I can use microcalyx care as well :)

Easy grower, keep it warm and wet, careful not to let it get too dry, with good light, and I heard/read it might take seasonal lighting change to prompt flowering. That said, I grew mine in an East facing widow for several years and never had it flower, so IDK for sure.

Since it grows in Northern Oz, I suspect that providing conditions similar to those appreciated by D. petiolaris species would work. Over here are some amazing habitat pics of U. fulva (as well as others).

I've got this one growing as an affixed aquatic in an undrained container in my lowland tent, 80s-90s (Fahrenheit), pretty humid, under lights. Growth has recently exploded since I moved it out from the shade of a nearby nep. It's an easy grower, but I'm not sure what the secret is to get it to flower. I've heard seasonal cues, but that could be light, temps, moisture, etc. it's a mystery to me! Will confirm that it does well with petiolaris 'dews, mine is growing right next to some!

Last edited:
I keep mine in waterlogged peat in a sealed plastic tub next to a west-facing windowsill with various other Utricularia, and this has led to flowering for the first time recently. Utricularia biloba has also flowered in the same setup.

S19QApY.jpg

I keep mine in waterlogged peat in a sealed plastic tub next to a west-facing windowsill with various other Utricularia, and this has led to flowering for the first time recently. Utricularia biloba has also flowered in the same setup.

S19QApY.jpg

This is good to know...maybe I will take a plug out and try growing it in a windowsill. I want those flowers!

I don't know if you plan on getting a U. Fulva any time soon, but there's one up for auction at nasc benefit auction.

Thanks for every reply but I haven't got them yet, cause when I wanted to buy it the plants of the man where I wanted to buy them got sick. Instead of fulva I have now a sandersonii for free and a microcalyx. I live in the Netherlands so that isn't going to happen curtisconners :) but thanks ;).

Oh, I see. I need to start remembering how many people here are from outside the U.S.

Don't worry it happens to the best. Maybe you need to de some research before you want to rule us all ;). No just kidding

Last edited:
Oh, I will rule you all. I already have several puppet dictators in my control.
Just kidding.

...Or am I?

Back