What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tricolor

Tricolor in flower, now what.  How do I get this to seed?  SHould I cross it with another Utric?  What a cool little flower.  There is a second flower about ready to open.

Hehe, now you have to let us know what you did.
tounge.gif
If you know. Hehehehe.
wink.gif

You could either effect self-pollination, or try to cross it with a related species if you have one flowering - something like U. praelonga or longifolia would be most likely to succeed, being closely related, or you could try any of the other South American large terrestrial/epiphytic species if you have them flowering.
This is an article on pollination of Pinguicula - most of the information should also be relevant to Utricularia, which is closely related.

Pollination of Pinguicula flowers

Giles

WHAAAAAAT!!!!!
confused.gif
? You FLOWERED U. tricolor?
confused.gif
??
{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{THUD}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}
This is momentous, verging on the impossible, and I am green with envy!!!

You should add "I flowered U. tricolor" to your signature line.

Mine is not flowering. Scapes I got, flowers I don't got.

Please consider me for a bit of your plant if you ever have enough to trade.

Sigh.

As soon as it is done flowering I will send you some. The first scape has a second flower. The second scape is getting tall, but no flower to be seen yet.

The second flower is opening. It should be fully open tomorrow. The first flower is mauve. The second is mauve, but lighter than the first. The second scape is about 6 to 7" tall and thicker. flower is opening on it. The first scape is only a few inches tall and very thin.

I know what the secret is, DUMB LUCK! I also keep the plant closer to the light.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I also keep the plant closer to the light[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

I see now why my U. tricolor won't flower. It's what comes from being 93 million miles from the light source.
biggrin.gif

Artificial light. Interstella space craft is to expensive these days
tounge.gif

I am going to try to take pictures today.

wow! i envy you copper! make sure to add " I flowered my tricolor, and tamlin couldn't " to your signature
biggrin.gif
wink.gif
tounge.gif
smile.gif

congrats!

Ouch, you are a cruel person
tounge.gif
Now I am going to have to study up so that it looks like I knew what I was doing.
confused.gif

Wooooah, wait a minute there Spec.....I *did* flower U. tricolor back in 1976: 6 scapes worth by golly, and I am still bragging about it, hee hee!!! I used the Copper method, pure dumb luck as it was the first time I had grown it, go figure. Back then I didn't realize how difficult it was to flower this species, so that must be the key.

Another species that I can't seem to get to flower is U. pubescens, although many claim it is not difficult. I think the plant senses my fear.

I think that many problems people have getting "diffiicult" species to flower could be solved by the purchase of a greenhouse.

Possibly, but U. tricolor hasn't flowered yet in my greenhouse, despite growing quite happily.

I believe it is the enharmonic vibrations of Copper's Karmic Flux that has done the deed, or possibly the close proximity of Mars. Science fails with this species. I really thought I had it figured out with growing it nearly dry. I got many scapes, some even have little "leaves" on the scape, but although they do not wither away, neither do they produce buds, although I continue to hope since they dont have blackened ends on the scapes.

I was looking forward to my first u. tricolor flower opening a few weeks back (Easter, I think), in the container it was sharing with U. gibba and D. intermedia. A really healthy-looking stalk, with a nice fat ud on the end. Unfortunately, it opened into U. lateriflora, so somewhat disappointing. Has anyone tried U. tricolor really wet?

Giles

Yes, I decided to flood mine last week. I now have three scapes, two with open flowers.

cool , take a pic , i would klike to see. i begabn growing this plant a few months ago so i don't know much , but the structure of the stolons really amde me think that it does'nt now flwoer often . i keep mines outdoors and i livein california so probably if i have dumb luck to mines will flower .

That is the tricolor flower in my new avatar.  I am trying to get a close up, but it is very small.

tribadge.jpg

tricolor.jpg

The flower is in the center, against a leaf.

oh and i thought the flowers were bigger , any closer-ups . its weird , everytime i see u. tricolor theres always small capitulas of sphagnum moss growing between the leaves .

Back