What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

U. geminiloba

It is with me, and I hope to keep it so. I welcome any advice on the do's and don'ts on this subject, perhaps a few 500 word essays on the habitat....well, anything that anyone has that will help with my current j-j-j-itters...

I think the best plan is dead sphagnum as a medium and a normal utric watering regime. I had mine in drier conditions and it did not do very well. I changed my technique when Pyro pointed out that it was related to U. humboldtii and nelumbifolia and that it would probably like wetter conditions.

Good luck.

I recieved 3 tubers for this plant about 3 weeks ago. I potted them up in LFS in a 2" pot and dropped the whole thing in with all my other Utrics. Looking at them today I have massive stolon growth and am seeing the beginnings of leaves. All in all it seems easy but since I have only had it 3 weeks it may be too soon to tell

Now that I have the Three Wise Men together, what are your thoughts on fertilizing Utrics?

I've never tried it, but it doesn't seem to be neccessary.

Khai,

Not sure I would call myself wise but who am I to argue
smile.gif
wink.gif

On fertilizing, I have used a once weekly application by spray of 1/8 concentration orchid 30-10-10 during the summer. It has not hurt but I can not say it has helped either since they seem to grow at the same rate in the winter without fertilizer.

Im not an expert here, but a couple weeks ago I put a small piece of U. sandersonii in a terrarium that had once held fish, the water in the terrarium had a very high level of nitrates 90 ppm??? I removed the fish and let the water evaporate. I have noticed explosive growth in the plant going from 1" by 1" to 4" by 3" in just a couple of weeks......

Ive been kickin around the idea of maybe introducing some fish into my growing trays.....It will make for an interesting experiment.

I will keep everyone updated...I have been extremily busy so it might take me awhile to get around to it!!!

Bryant
kayaker78@hotmail.com
www.cp-place.com

Back