What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

U. longifolia

Hello all,
I am planning on growing this wonderful epiphyte from seed, and have read the ICPS's germinating instructions, but was wondering if you have any different ideas from experiance? Thanks!!
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
alien.gif

I'm curious too.. has anyone had success growing this from seed? My boyfriend desperately wants to grow this plant and I've been debating getting some seed from the ICPS for him..

U. longifolia is like U. sandersonii, livida, subulata etc. - it is so gregarious and easy to propagate that there is no real reason to want to grow it from seed.

But if you're determined, try a peat/sand mix in a pot, place in a tray of water, give lots of light, and spray with water daily. Once they germinate, continue spraying with water to keep the algae/moss/mold under control.

The seeds got here today, and along with the seeds, for no apparent reason, was a little Zip-lock full of already growing U. longifolia!
smile.gif
I have heard of people growing these with highland neps, and people growing them at constant temps of eighty degrees. Also what do you suggest for watering: Tray or overhead? Thanks,
A very excited Lithopsman!!
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
alien.gif

I grow mine in live Sphagnum, standing in the water tray all year, in a frost free English greenhouse; full sun, no heating except in winter to keep the frosts off. This species is not epiphytic but terrestrial (or maybe lithophytic, growing on rocks).

Giles

Ok, thanks! I planted the seeds and the two plants sent in LFS with orchid bark at the bottom for drainage, and when I was in Devon a few weeks ago, it struck me as highland(ish), so I guess that they're fine in the highland tank... Thanks again!! P.S. After fully removing the plants, I realized that they are just masses of bladders and such, but no leaves!
wow.gif
alien.gif
Is this normail for a plant like this after shipping or something? They each have an easy one or two hundred bladders. Thnaks again!!
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
alien.gif

I grow it in a my terrarium, in a mixture of peat/sand/bark and dead sphagnum. It seems to enjoy a chunkier mix than smaller terrestrials, but not as loose as the large S. American species. I don't give it any special treatment, it grows in a 3 in pot in a tray or water, and the terrarium is usually pretty warm.

Like Giles says, it isn't an epiphyte, and isn't closely related to any epiphytic species. It is in the same section as U. calycifida and U. praelonga.

It tends to produce more growth under the surface than it does above, and the section you have should sprout a good crop of leaves without much trouble.

Ok, thanks!! I just found out that these are sections of bladders that were growing out of pots somewhere in the ICPS. Does LFS with orchid bark in the bottom sound ok? There are also seeds, so I think that I'll wait a while. Also, last night, I left them in the highland chamber, is that ok? Thanks!!
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
alien.gif

I would venture that U. longifolia is even harder to kill than U. livida or subulata. As long as you water it occasionally and it doesn't go below freezing, it should be fine.

Ok, thanks!!
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
alien.gif
Glad that highland is ok!! I may move it to lowland though, or growcloset, because highland is really tight on room...

Back