User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Does U. praelonga flower in captivity?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What mix does everyone grow their plants in? I have mine in Peat/sand, but I think it may grow better in some other soil.

Cole
    Duele no tenerte cerca, duele no escuchar tu voz. Duele respirar tu ausencia, pero, duele más decirte adiós.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The bulk of my Utrics are small species and they are in coarse sphagnum peat but some like: longifolia and calycifida are in long fibered sphagnum that is kept very wet but drained and sitting in 1/2" or so of water all the time.

I too have been wondering if perhaps a coarser soil mix (like a 50:50 blend of LFS and small orchid bark) might be better for the larger epiphytic utrics.

Since calycifida grows as a lithophyte (at least occasionally) I wondered how I might copy this at home?
    Perhaps a 12" glass fish bowl 1/2 filled with rocks and living sphagnum and some divisions of calycifida? Anyone ever try growing utrics lithophytically? How did you do it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm, this is getting off topic, but it is a worthy question. Maybe Pyro can set this up in it's own topic. This question is often asked :-)

I grow most all my plants in fluffed up pure peat, or live sphagnum. Adding sand does nothing, and I feel it compacts the medium too much. I have experimented with various other things, but these 2 seem to fill all my plant's needs. I have noticed that, once established, the Utricularia that have made it into my pots containing live sphagnum have just done better than in any other medium. When I try to get material established in live moss, I have the devil of a time doing it! I plan now on establishing the new starts in pure peat, and then transplanting into milled live LFS, possibly with a little bark for aeration. I feel more and more that the plants need air about their stolons. It's an oxygen thing. After awhile, the water they sit in gets stagnant: in habitat there is usually a slow seep that is carrying oxygen beneath the surface.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote (Tamlin Dawnstar @ Feb. 26 2003,02:48)
    Maybe Pyro can set this up in it's own topic. [/QUOTE]
    Done [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

Go here or just find my new topic [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--
    actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I fairly recently started keeping carnivorous plants, but I feel I may be able to add to this thread.

I recently obtained my U. praelonga and it has not flowered, but I have had numerous conversations with those who are successful with theirs, and I am told that praelonga prefers to have the water level about even with the soil level, and that it enjoys occasional flooding.

Under these conditions I understand that it should flower. I also suspect that it may be worth the effort after keeping a plant in this manner for an extended period of time to experiment by lowering the water level to see if that induces flowering.

Hope this helps!

Bryant

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forums Kayaker78!

You're right about praelonga liking a lot of water, and many species of utrics do flower when the water level drops.

I wonder if it could be some combination of water level changes and another cue, probably temperature and/or light.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Bryant,

I have my plant underwater currently and its been like this for 2 months. I am holding my breath: if something is going to happen I think it will be soon when the plant returns to growth. After I get some aboveground growth, I will start to dry the plant off. I figure thats about every durned cue that I can give it. It is pot bound, went through a cold winter dormancy including a freeze, has been under natural photoperiod, semi-aquatic and about to dry.

Anyone got any fairy dust?
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking at my plant today I noticed there are numerous things poking up: a forest of them! They are not green like the grass like leaves, and they are round in cross section, not flat. I think they might be scapes!
    "Grow More, Share More"

9. Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast