What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Utriculria

I just got U.sandesonii & U.subulata. I am planning on planting the U. subulata in my outside bog and keeping the U.sandesonii inside. Any hints on the care and feeding?
Thanks Marjorie

both are very easy sub tropical utrics. just keep em well watered and in a mix of peat or peat/sand or peat/perlite. subulata, i heard, does well outdoors, but the stolons will die away in very cool weather, as did my bisquamata's. it will produce smaller ones. i would grow the sandersonii indoors.

I have to warn you: subulata is insidious weed that will infest your pots if you grow it indoors, including any utricularia in your collection. It out competes just about any other utricularia, and I have banished it from my collection. Subulata will survive being frozen solid for short periods.

I second that. I've had to separate subulata from a more desirable utric using tweezers and a magnifying gladd a few times. U. subulata just isn't worth the trouble.

Maybe if you could make it flower consistently it would be nice, but it only ever produced cleistogomous flowers for me.

Mine survived even being frozen for short periods. I have had it return from pots that were almost completely dry. If you do grow it, never transfer the moss from one pot to another: even if it looks clean, it isn't.

Back