Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plant at the edge of the pot?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been reading one of my newest books CPs of New Zealand by Bruce Salmon and noticed that in the cultural information pertaining to Utricularia it states to plant Utrics at the edge of the pot.
    I have planted mine in the center and they are slow to establish (had them a couple months now) will moving them to the edge of the pot speed up their vegetative productivity? Or does it really not make all that much difference?

Utrics in question:
    U. calycifida
    U. caerulea
    U. simplex
    U. livida
    U. sandersonii
    U. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/confused.gif[/img] I've several of these

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't heard of it before...good question.I'd like to know. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have never heard of this nor have I ever noticed any difference in growth as a result of where the plant starts in the pot. I often find that Utrics will establish themselves via production of new stolons long before they begin to produce new leaves. So while it appears that the plants are not growing in reality they are actually very busy you just can't see it.
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've read that book too, and I can think of a reason to plant them like that. Unless the strategy is for the plant to grow around the pot along the edge, and then grow back towards the center.

I don't think that planting them in the centre of the pot would result in poor growth.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have noticed that there seems to be good dense growth at the edge of things. I first noticed this when I had a substrate terrarium (before the fungus destroyed it). I planted sandersonii in the medium, and eventually it grew thickest in the corners of the tank. I also noticed the leaves seemed to surface at the pots edge when I started growing this way. Maybe there really is something to the recommendation. I think I will test this hypothesis when I divide my plants. Why not?
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your thoughts folks!

I've noticed that the various U. ? [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/confused.gif[/img] species which have very dense leaf growth and are in pure peat are flowering lot in comparison to the others which were not growing fast or flowering. I put all my terrestrials into drained pots full of peat tonight and took them out of the undrained clear deli tubs of LFS (the idea was I could eventually observe the traps but there was almost no growth except the moss they came in). I also put them on the edges of the pots since I've alredy tried the middle of the pot I may as well try the edge this time.
    I'll let you all know what happens with mine anyway! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My theory for the "edge factor" is that when a stolon hits an obstruction it then surfaces and produces leaves. I have noticed this when there are little scraps of twig or some such in the potting media. Where ever the twig was there was more growth. So with the side of the pot taking up 90 degrees of spread direction you would see what looks like massive production while in truth it is probably equal except the stolons on the other side of the plant are still subteranian
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

Hagerstown, Maryland

--

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pyro I think you are right with that theory of stoloniferous obstructification.

Josh: one way to observe the traps is to grow them in clear containers, but with a section blacked off (electrical tape?) I have heard that the stolons will grow against the container if there is no light, then the tape can be removed and then the stolons are visable with their bladders. I haven't tried it, but thought I'd pass this on.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast