What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aldrovanda

Greetings to the board.

I recieved 4 Aldrovanda turions last week. I put them into a washed out clear plastic milk jug which is half full of RO water.

I have no idea of how to grow these things, and would appreciate constructive critizism.

Thanks
Tim

I can pretty well guarantee that growing your Aldrovanda in a "clear plastic milk jug which is half full of RO water" will not, in itself, be successful. Aldrovanda are not that easy, but:

Read the thread below "Aldorvada japan, Any care tips" or found at
http://www.petflytrap.com/cgi-bin....9;t=230

-Bob-

Does anyone know a good source for Aldrovanda? I've had some success with aquatic CP's and would like to try this one
smile.gif

tell me how to cultivate these plants too , i got them, very cheap from cooks and I have no idea either , purple sundew , pm me if you want to know where to buy some aldrovanda for a very cheap price .

Everything you could ever need to know about the cultivation requirements, biology and ecology of Aldrovanda can be found here. Aldrovanda vesiculosa Project.

I grow two of the sub-tropical strains of this species, from Japan and SE Australia. It is much better to set up your growing environment for these plants months in advance of obtaining them, in order to let the water chemistry and microbiology stabilise first, algae, if it occurs, can spell a quick demise for these plants. Given that you have turions, it is likely that you are growing one of the N. European strains and these fare far better grown outdoors than in aquaria. The sub-tropical and tropical strains will form turions if subjected to cold, but do not do so in habitat and they are much easier in aquarium culture.

Whatever your strain is it will not be happy in pure RO water, Aldrovanda requires decaying vegetation in the water to thrive (Typha, Phragmites, Barley or Rice straw all work).

Vic

Greetings,
Thinking that you should refridgerate the turions until you can get a proper environment ready for them. They will come out of dormancy if kept in warm water.

They have been growing very vigorously in the plastic container with nothing but RO water in my greenhouse.

If I can get a specific answer, why is this wrong? Will they suddenly die?

Thanks.

There was an article in the most recent CPN about growing Aldrovanda. Seems to involve using garden soil.

Aldrovanda is happy in a pond or aquarium with a layer of soil with decaying plant material and a few aquatic plants thrown in to retard algae growth.
Won't suddenly die in your container but will gradually decline over time unless sudden algae growth gets them.

Back