Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: CO2 reactor question

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tristan is correct. Yeast are facultative anaerobes. Or, in plain english, they prefer to grow under oxygen conditions but can grow (less efficiently) under micro/non oxygen conditions by utilizing a fermentation cycle.

Pyro

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Pyro, yes, this was actually my original theory (that the yeast were "breathing" first), but I wasn't sure if it made sense. [img]http://www.**********.com/iBhtml/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its still a syphon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess it would be a siphon if I were to allow the water to flow all the way up the tube (which I haven't), and the yeast's supposedly "breathing" before CO2 generation would be what provides the "push" to get the siphon going.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i was just thinking, i have another idea on why it does that or aids the effect of the suction, you use warm water to activate the yeast fermentation process. well for the short time that u you fill the bottle up with warm water the air expands pushing excess air, giving a short bubbling period before the air cools, then causing a reverse of air pressure in the bottle, causing a suction until Co2 can replace the deminished supply of gas forced out of the bottle. This may be a big factor or little factor to this problem, i dunno? yeast works really fast so it may just cancel out the whole effect all together. also while the water is warm, evaportion takes place causing th air pressure to climb even more.
    This is my 2 3/4 cents

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting theory which may have some validity, however it is not the major factor here because I often don't use warm water. [img]http://www.**********.com/iBhtml/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol yes, then that wouldnt be a factor to the problem then [img]http://www.**********.com/iBhtml/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img] :'(

lol

Marshfield, MA (US) USDA zone 6 cold-temperate coastal
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    havron, I followed your directions and ended up with a great CO2 reactor. I thank you for that. At first, I kept the reactor equal next to the raidiata tank so water levels were equal. I woke up to find, however, some of the yeasty reactor fluid had been pumped into the tank! Just a tiny amount that doesn't necessitate (IMO) changing the tank water. If there is an algae bloom, the Daphnia I ordered should clear things up.

So, I relocated the CO2 generator to the floor a couple feet below the tank. I'm no longer having the problem I had before, and there is a steady stream of CO2 into the tank. There is a bubble about once per second, which seems right to me. D'accord? What puzzles me is that because the reactor water level is far below the level in the tank, why doesn't the tank water flow down the tube into the reactor. Is the steady CO2 stream from the reactor preventing this from happening? That must be it.

Happy Easter!

Chris

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast