What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Utricularia menziesii

Does somebody cultivate Utricularia menziesii and can tell me his methods.
I already know the "basics", tuberous Utricularia, dry dsummer dormancy and so on....

Martin

Martin,

Unfortunatly I don't know but I too am looking for advice on this plant. If you find anyting could you keep me in mind?

Pyro

keep the plant bone-dry(!!!) during summer and cool and wet (flooded) during winter.
Only large clusters of tubers will flower.
You can propagate the plant by divieding the clusters into individual tubers. One small tuber will need several years to flower.

Long term cultivation of this spezies seems to be VERY difficult.

I don't have any experience with it.

Pictures : http://www.cephalotus.net
(also highly recommend for any other West-Australien CP)

Martin

Beautiful pictures. I really want this species now.

Pyro

Martin

I have been hunting for info, here is some from two people who helped me out. I'll post more as I find it.

Pyro

"I found the notes from Lowrie. He says to grow U. menziessi exactly like
tuberous sundews, and they require a dry dormancy during the summer. During
dormancy, the soil shouldn't be allowed to dry out too quickly, and should be
slightly moist for 2 months. They are not high temperature plants, and they
prefer cool temperatures (5 to 20 degrees C) in their active growth period which
is during the winter. Medium mix is 50/50 sand/peat, or 80/20 sand/peat. Water
from above, do not allow to sit in standing water. Provide the strongest light
possible. If you're starting with a tuber, plant the tuber to a depth of 3 times
the diameter of the tuber, with the growing eye facing up. Should be grown in a
4-inch pot or bigger. The bigger the pot, the better as it keeps the temperature
in the soil from fluctuating too much."

"Treat them exactly as for tuberous sundews"

I've found a little more.

Basically it grows in winter, in a sandy substrate with a little peat, and needs to be kept cool (40s to 60s) during growth, and dried out during summer.

And from Lowrie's 3rd Vol:

A perennial, tuberous terrestrial plant, forming a compact rosette of densely crowded leaves to 2cm in diam.  Rhizoids many;stolons absent; larger traps free of the soil. Basal rosette of leaves generally covered with a  film of water at flowering time.  Habitat: Grows in a sandy clay on swamp flats that become dry in eh summer.  In sandy peat on the margins of the swamps.  On the aprons of granite outcrops in small depressions filled with loam soil and often covered with moss.

Pyro

Hi Pyro,

thank you for the info, but I already knew Allen Lowries suggestions ;o)

What I was seeking are tipps from someone who grows this spezies for his own.

I only know two people who had succesfully grown this plant for more than one year !

the rules seem to be...
bonedry (!!!!!!!!) during summer, even the smallest amount of moisture will kill the tuber, very wet to flooded in winter.
Cold and very (!!!) bright light (less than 12hrs a day).

That's all I know.

I will try this spezies now for my own.
I hope that it will survive because there are very few left in nature....
(they build a huge shopping center where the biggest populatian has grown)

Martin

Martin,

You might try checking bestcarnivorousplants.com. I think I saw that someone there grew this plant. Also, maybe try the Japanese Carnivorous Plant Society (JCPS,) I've checked ou there site a few times and they seem to have quite a few rare species there. I am trying some leads on growers as well and will let you know if any of them contact me with information.

Pyro

Back