Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: U. tricolor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not sure of what triggers this plants into blooming. Being tropical plants, it might be a high variation in humidity of the air, wetness of the medium acompanied by a slight variation in daylength and/or temperature.

I say this because it is what i experience here (remember i live in Colombia at 1500 meters elevation). Usually on the wet season the humidity is high and temps are a little lower while on the dry season the temps are higher and humidity lower. There are places where ther are 2 wet and 2 dry seasonds during the year, at other places ther is only 1 wet and one dry season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It must be beginners luck for me with this species. I just noticed that my U. tricolor is sending up a flower scape [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

I only received this one as a small start last October and although it seems to be growing well it hasn't exactly filled it's small 3inch dwarf pot yet. Growing conditions have been natural light, dappled shade, and it's been kept very wet all winter. It's recently been very dry in the UK, so I have let the water level fall from soil surface to just 1/2 an inch deep for a few weeks and only resumed high water levels again a week ago. This might have triggered it. The plants have been quite cool over the winter, with min. temps of 7C, so the increase in temperature and light (intensity and photoperiod) could also have played a part.

Even more exciting, for me at least, is the appearance of a flower scape on my U. reniformis small-leaved form. I've been trying to get this to flower for years. It's grown under the same conditions as the U. tricolor, but kept much drier over Winter. Maybe it was all the recent disturbance that this plant has experienced that triggered flowering, as I dug out a few bits to trade a month or so ago.

Will post pictures of flowers of both species in a few weeks, providing they don't abort.

Vic
    They say that money talks, but all it ever says to me is goodbye.

Good luck with the tricolor Vic - I don't think mine's flowered yet. They keep sending up rather weedy scapes on which the buds don't develop and which eventually just die off. My U. reniformis Small grows and flowers OK with the stolons growing around a deep water tray.

Giles

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am going to have to agree with Giles_KS and admit that my U. tricolor scapes are also weedy-looking and eventually die off without producing flowers (so far). The scapes are about 5 inches high and seem to get a fuzzy fungus on the upper 2/3. The plant is grown in the open with good air circulation, so the fuzzy fungus is strange. I keep hoping that at least some of the scapes will eventually produce flowers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the warning Giles, the flower scape is currently 2 1/2 inches and showing no signs of fungus, yet! In previous years, the scapes on many of my small, terrestrial Utrics have been attacked by a white, powdery fungus (mildew?), which whilst unsightly, doesn't seem to affect the flowers. For some reason, there is no sign of this fungus this year, so hopefully things might be O.K. At the first sign of any fungus on my U. tricolor, I'll be ready with the fungicide spray!, it seems there is nothing to lose by trying to zap it.

Cheers

Vic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had similar experience as regarding the powdery white moldy substance on the flower stalks. The stalks continued to grow and bloom though, here shown on some bisquamata recently:

[img]http://home.**********.com/noah/mold.JPG[/img]

On a similar note, I have now been trying for ~2 years to get my u. longifolia to flower, so far my attempts have been unsuccessful. I aquired my clone from Tamlin, if I remember correctly he hasn't seen flowers on his yet either.... or have you?

Either way, I took multiple cuttings (which by now are growing well) and will put them in different conditions (water, temp, light, etc.) to test what seems to trigger flower best in this species. We'll see how that goes.

I could be way off but from my experience flowering in both utrics and genliseas seems to be triggered by a significant drop in the water level. I have noticed this with several species.

-noah

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the photo Noah, that stuff looks identical to the fungus I get. Does anyone know what it is? It might help with control, if we could I.D. it.

Vic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep. That is what the fungus on my tricolor scapes look like also.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast