What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

U.longifolia

Here are some photos of my u.longifolia.
It hasn't flowered yet, but I'm hopeful.
smile.gif

holden-2377e91aa4797d9091eb5897082ce53890f8bef0.jpg

holden-b889ebe73505e59515c76438dbe86823b685660a.jpg

Those are great pics Finish kid...not a brown leaf in the bunch!
I grow a dwarf form of longifolia and often have problem with browning on mature leaves. I'd love to know the secret.

Damon

Wow FinnishKid! If only my division (that you so kindly gave me) would grow that large! Are those Drosera the same as the one in my portion? BTW, my section of U. Longifolia is recovering nicely, with all the leaves pointing toward the light!
tounge.gif

SF

Thanks guys!

The secret to not having brown leaves is picking them out quickly before anyone notices.
wink.gif

This is also a dwarf form believe it or not. I wonder how big the non-dwarf form is!
Mine grow in a tiny decorative greenhouse on the window sill. They get lots of sun! and the whole pot sits in a tray of water. The pot is probably halfway submerged at all times. Also, it's a bonsai pot, so don't let the optical illusion fool you. The pot itself is only about 3" long.

Snowy: Your clump will be this size in no time. Give it lots of light and water - it will spread very quickly! This plant keeps sending its runners out over the edge of the pot. You can see a few in the photo, they're the thin white parts that hold the traps. When I picked this pot up out of the tray of water, there was a huge mass of traps that had grown out of the drainage hole. It always does that... I just drop them in the peat of my other plants and they keep growing.
And yes, they are the same drosera. They are d.burmani. Little tiny ones!

ps... how is the gracilis?

Holden

The large Gracilis has resumed growth. No pitchers yet, but it has put out two new leaves. The next one might make a pitcher though (if we get some sunshine around here, uurrgggh&#33
wink.gif
. The smallest Gracilis hasn't changed any, besides a slightly darker leaf color.

So the U. Longifolia is dwarf? The adult plant must be quite large leafed, you're right!

SF

That's great! the smaller one had fewer roots so it might take a little longer to get in gear. It sounds like they're all doing fine, I'm glad I was able to share so many with you.

I think that in a very short time you'll have u.longifolia ready to trade away to someone else!

Are you growing your longifolia in a semi-submerged state? If so, what indicators does your plant give you that it want's dry dormancy? Once again, those pix are fantastic...can't wait to see the flowers on it.

Damon

Hi Damon,
I don't know very much about utrics. This is my only one. I've only had it since early spring so I've been growing it in a water tray and watching what happens. TSG says that it likes a drier winter dormancy, so I figured I would just raise it up in the tray a little later this Fall to let it dry up a bit in between less frequent waterings. By the end of September I'll have to rearrange most of my plants. I have several windowsill denizens who have enjoyed the Puget Sound summer, but won't be happy once it gets colder and the electric heat comes on! This utric will probably actually go into a tank with the others...
If you have any suggestions, I'm open to them!

wow , what are you growing it in , mines is in a 3 inch pot with nepenthes soil but it seems you are growing yours in live sphagnum . i am going to keep mines a bit wetter and more sun to make it grow faster .

Mine is growing in a mixture of peat and live sphagnum. There are several kinds of moss there... all by chance. There was even a beautiful fern but I had to remove it as it was getting too big.

My U. longifolia has leaves nearly a foot long, so don't be surprised if yours continue to grow considerably larger, it just takes time!

They do best for me in deep live moss, but with a lot of water at the base.  The plant doesn't have a dormancy, it continues to grow year round.  I suspect flowering is encouraged by compact stolons, so I dont divide mine too often.  Mine flowered in the spring after a cold spell which may or may not have had an effect.

The browning of the leaves is likely fungal in origin, and may be prevented by increasing the air circulation.

As an aside in the interests of education note the second half of the latin binomial is never capitalized: hence U. longifolia, or P. gracilis. I want you guys to look good :)

Good growing all!

Back