What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Utrics at PFT?

Hey Jaie and Phil,

Will you guys be offering any utrics in the (near) future?
Seems like the only genus that you guys left out;)
Epiphytic varieties and others would be nice.

You have my vote for any easey to grow utric

It sure would be good to see U. alpina reproduced by the magic of PFT. This species is quite rare in the U.S., although not the easiest to care for. U. sandersonii is easier, and the prolific flowers are most amazing. It is also a great beginners plant. I think Utricularia are wonderful plants, and deserve to be in more collections.

I agree. How about sandersonii? It would be good to release around Easter because of the rabbitlike flowers.

My vote is in!
smile.gif

Chris

I've seen Utric pictures, but I still dont really know what they look like... I mean, i think it looks like grass, but with round oval type leaves instead of thread like... and small snap dragon like flowers on top. They eat underground, or underwater... thats all...

There are different varieties of utric. Some with grass like leaves, while others have more oval leaves. Just because they eat underwater does not mean that you cannot see their trap. Epiphytic utrics like U.humboldtii have 1/4in traps with flowers that are 2in.

Hi Guys,

We have very little utrics here... and most were acquired by trade.

We thought about seeing how they would sell, but it's tough to know exactly HOW to sell these little guys... or even trade for that matter.

So we have some really nice flowering Utrics (can't remember the type)... that you may see come up for sale.

Parasuco, Utricularia are a very spectacular and varied species. Some have leaves that are like tiny blades of grass pressed tightly to the soil whilst others have little oval shaped leaves. A few species have larger round leaves, whilst the tropical epiphytic species have large leaves shaped like umbrellas (reniformis) or like canoe paddles (Humboldtii). Below are a couple of photo's of Utricularia Praelonga. A larger very easy to grow species which I find grows best in pure sphagnum moss. The grass like leaves reach lengths of about 7 inches and the plant has very long stems with bright yellow flowers. In winter it dies right back underground.
1) 'leaves'
9205671-5d3e-01500200-.jpg

2) Bladders
9205673-3596-02000150-.jpg

I really want to get my hands on a terrestrial Utricularia to keep soil pests under control and add some flowers to my collection.

Richard: have you ever had U. praelonga flower?

Yup! Every year. Its actually starting to send up its flower spikes now. I have found that it doesnt like to be disturbed. Newly potted clumps flower only occasionaly but if you allow the pot to become really congested (there is hardly any more room for growth in my pot!)
They flower much more frequently and prolificaly. The flower is bright yellow, about 3/4 inch long. If the plant doesnt receive enough light when the stalks start to grow they topple over and you get the flowers sticking up from between your plant pots!!!

Interesting. Could you tell us a bit about your growing conditions?

Back