What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Easiest Genlisea?

I have been wanting to try growing Genlisea for quite a while now, but I would like to choose my first plant carefully. Are there any experienced growers out there who would like to throw there $0.02 in as to which is the best species with which to start. I'm not an inexerienced grower of other CPs, just haven't grown Genlisea yet. G. hispidula and G. violacea seem to be the two commonest species grown, are they the best to start with?

Cheers
Vic

Genlisea is actually a fairly easy genus. For me, both violacea and violacea "giant form" grow the fastest. Violacea also flowered the soonest for me with multiple flowers on multiple scapes.

G. violacea 'giant' (which is probably a different species than G. violacea) is by far the easiest. The strain of the typical G. violacea that I grow is quite small and tricky to keep alive.

G. violacea 'giant', on the other hand grows like a weed, has large leaves and scapes, and is probably even easier than most utric species. G. hispidula is also an easy species. I would hesitate to recommend other Genlisea species as being easy, at least not ones that I have grown.

I recieved a G. hispidula in a trade from dodec... It has a 6cm flower scape on it now. Its growing like a WEED. I don't know if I"m good at it, or if its just luck, but I dont do anything extra special for it... There is a new offshooot to the side of it too. Its doing really well... I would suggest it. Its very pretty and tidy as well!

It has already been said but I'll jump in to agree on the violacea 'giant' My first was a hispidula which is still growing great. I would also be willing to suggest lobata so long as you can get a larger plant, I am finding that cuttings and small plants of this species are a bit tempermental.

violacea 'typical' and 'giant' are extermely easy.

Thanks guys,I think I shall go with violacea as my first choice, preferably 'giant'. Now does anyone in Europe have any cuttings/plants for sale or trade?

Vic

Back