Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Let the joyous news be spread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pete,
    Yup, it is shooting right up there and I am watching it like a hawk. It seems robust and healthy, but they way my luck has been running I can only hope.

There seems to be a lot of red/madder color to the scape, so maybe it isn't the white flowered form? I dunno. I hope time will tell all.

I will get a photo, and hopefully I can find a willing soul to post it. I want to wait until there are flowers to show, right now it is just a scape with hardly a bud yet.

Now if tricolor would just do it!
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh the agony of waiting...

I feel it too as my asplundii is taking its sweet time putting up its scape. I am hoping to see something within the next month but who knows
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--
    actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you might be onto something with the temperature drop, tamlin. Mine began to flower shortly after I moved to the frigid north. I'm not sure if it would have been triggered by the chilly conditions in the car during the move, or if it is the slightly lower temps in my new apartment.

It might just be the right time of year too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had an email discussion with Greg Bourke who grows the plant in his garden. He says it always flowers in the wetter and cooler weather. I will be doing some experimentation with the fridge I think. Since it really only gets cool at night, I am thinking that it might have something to do with a temperature drop. At any rate, the scape is growing well and rapidly. My luck hasn't been too good lately, so I am prepared for the worst while hoping for the best.

Utricularia alpina has p ut up a good strong leaf. You can always count on Utricularia to throw some life into the party!
    "Grow More, Share More"

You might want to try a cool windowsill instead of a fridge. Not quite so cold, Nice light, day-night temp differences, less probability that they will be part of a salad...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Tim, as always I will defer to your opinion, and thanks for the input!

The longifolia scape is growing at a great rate, and seems vigorous and healthy.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Tamlin,

good news to hear your Ut. longifolia is starting to flower. I did check all my Utricularia pots and only the Ut. reniformis (large) is putting up a flower stalk right now. Ut. alpina grows very slow right now. Last year my Ut. alpina started to flower around end of April.

Joachim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Joachim,

Hey nice to see you here in the boggy muck of the Utricularia Forum: quite a change from the highlands, lol.

It always amazes me to hear the ease with which the Utricularia you mention flower in Europe. It seems to be a rare event here in the U.S. when U. alpina flowers. (Mine is currently growing new leaves rapidly, so things look promising). As for reniformis, wow! I hope some day to have the pleasure! Pyro and I hunted this plant forever and a day before getting seed from England.

His will probably flower before mine. Grrrr.

So, just to be growing some of these wonderful plants is a thrill. The flowering is the excitement though. I really want to try U. nelumbifolia or U. asplundii, but they are nearly myths here.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast