What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What the heck?

adnedarn

I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az
Admin
what the heck is this plant doing?  I know it has a single flower stock.  and I know it is growing...  but why all the other things up in the air?  don't they usually expand under ground?

Untitled-1.gif

thanks,

They will sometimes do this, especially in high humidity. It looks like U. sandersonii - is it the "blue flower" variety? I found that variety was much more likely to grow in this fashion.

i don't know about blue flower but it is a blue according to the name... U. sandersonii "blue" is how it was labled.  :-D  i would assume that is right.  the guy i got it from says he has never seen much a diff from blue and the regular one.  do you have a picture of each that shows the difference?
thanks,
andrew
(so your telling me it looks healthy?!  ;-P lol )

It looks very healthy! I had this type of growth in my substrate terrarium back in the 70's. Moss had grown up the glass of the tank over the decade and a half I maintained it. Once the moss was established, the U. sandersonii followed the moss, and grew all up the sides of the tank. When it flowered, there must have been a hundred flowers. I will never forget it. Your plant looks very happy, I think you have a touch for this genus!

awww thanks man.
biggrin.gif

Looks like you will have some trade material soon (rubs hands together, twitches and drools)

My 'blue' does that too. I figured it was just a peculiarity to the species.

I have been growing both the 'regular' and 'blue' forms of U. sandersonii for several years. My 'regular' form flowers profusely and the leaves are about 3 times larger than my 'blue' form. My 'blue' form flowers rarely. I find both to be easy growers and rapidly fill their pots. I see little difference in flower color, size, or shape of my two forms; both are a pale blue, although perhaps the 'blue' form is a bit darker blue. The main difference between the two is in leaf size and ease of flowering.

-Bob-
http://www.humboldt.edu/~rrz7001/

ohhhh! trade material... yeah, gotta love that! the way things are looking i may have U. sandersonii, U. sandersonii "blue", U. dichotoma, U. longifolia and U. livida for trade soon. so those that may be interested. get ready! :-D lol
later,

Bob, the plant in the picture is in fact the one you just traded me for. looks good don't it?
biggrin.gif

later,

Andrew,
The plant looks great! But, you really should do something about your scaly hand.

yeah, uh... thanks for pointing that out! that started when i was an auto tech for 3 years (a few months ago i quit that job). and my new job is hard on the hands as well. i don't seam to take verry well care of them don't wear gloves etc etc. i try (kinda) but 10 full size pumps of moisturiser still does nothing. gone in no time... dry skin is a prob for many people. trust me. i hate the way it looks, and the way it cracks and hurts so bad. expecially since i can't not use my hands...
sad.gif
so alwell... here i will edit the picture. so look up it is different now.
tounge.gif

later,

You should be applying KrackCreme multiple times a day.
Look for it im tellin you this stuff works.
My stepfather used to grind springs and that is what he swore by, I do too.
biggrin.gif

My hands and feet used to get shredded when I was working as a raft guide (the constant wet/dry does a real number.) I found that Bag Balm worked well but I finally settled onto a product called Super Salve. I never have problems now
smile.gif

Oh me, oh my. My 'hand' comment was meant to be a joke. I did not intend to start a discussion thread on dry-skin remedies or to force Andrew to be so embarrased by his ugly fingers that he had to crop his photo to keep us sensitive types from gagging.

Oh man, you have my curiosity up and I thought you all had gone nuts before I saw the pic had been edited. Change it back so we can all make fun-I mean comment on the lovely plant and dermatology.

Regards,

Joe

bob, thanks for the further comments on my "ugly" hands and how they make you sensitive types "gag".
personally, I don't see how a man can actually do work and not get calluses. which is all you saw. a callus (and some dryness). yes, I work hard. yes my hands take a beating. I don't though on the other "hand" find them as you describe them ugly or repulsive to the point of gagging. just not a woman's hand. so all you guys that are rich and have never done a days worth of hard work and have the pretty "girl" hands. good for you. those of us that work hard and have these rough callused hands can enjoy the things we make and fix while we pay little to no attention on our callused, dry and yes sometimes cracked hands. my wife sure doesn't seam to mind. those of you that have offered advice. thanks. i guess i can assume you guys at some point have done the work and know how it goes. so that's that.
thanks,

So, Andrew, what you are saying is you have ugly hands. Do I have that right?

Seriously, Bob, folks: I know this Andrew dude and he is just going for some goat on ya. Guys with dry hands always act like this. Don't fall for it or he'll bust you.

**BOOM!**    That was the sound of me dropping it.
wink.gif

Sorry if I offended anyone's sensibilities about hands. Due to an unfortunate turn of events I only have 2 fingers on one of my hands: a thumb and a middle digit. This gets me into all kinds of trouble when I wave to passing motorists!
-Bob-

Back