Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: U. reniformis small form

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to a very kind and generous fellow Utricularian several of us are now cultivating this plant. I was wondering how wet to keep the substrate after reading Giles comment on another post anout the stolons in the deep water. I have mine in live LFS sitting in an inch of water. I am getting some leaves forming which are fine, and some that are small and underdeveloped. I really want to succeed with this species so does this sound like a good plan, or does someone have a better method? Thanks in advance.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have this same plant form that same source (Thank you kind sir [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img] ) I believe he mentioned to me that he grows his the same way you are growing yours Tamlin. Myself, I potted mine up in an undrained container of LFS, I add water until it just begins to show through the LFS allow to it to dry until damp and then repeat the whole process. With our heat down here that is about a weekly cycle.
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--
    actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote (Pyro @ May 12 2003,10:52)
    I have this same plant form that same source (Thank you kind sir [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img] ) I believe he mentioned to me that he grows his the same way you are growing yours Tamlin. Myself, I potted mine up in an undrained container of LFS, I add water until it just begins to show through the LFS allow to it to dry until damp and then repeat the whole process. With our heat down here that is about a weekly cycle.[/QUOTE]
    Just curious, but did that person who gave you the U. reniformis go to Saturdays BACPS meeting? Someone there brought U. reniformis, and if i remember correctly he said he had recently given some cuttings to a couple freinds... Just curious...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

I do not grow mine in sphagmum. I use a mix of sand and peat. In summer i water them by the traymethod. The pots are standing in about 1cm ( roughly 0.4 inch) of water. I think, it is important to give your plants a dormancy. During this time, i do not use the traymethod. I keep the soil just damp. My plants are growing really well under these conditions, but have never flowered. I've often heard, the plants will only flower if you give them a dormancy and if the stolons filled up the pot completely. I have not repotted mine for two years, but haven't got a flower yet.

Christian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the flowers on this are my favorite in the genus, at least so far! I don't know why I tend to worry so about these plants, they usually do quite well for me, but for some reason they make me nervous when I first get them.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, I am a ditto on the plant source, and I am growing it like you recomended. The one fully developed leaf solon is over 1 1/2 inches. I have holes melted in the pot, and I keep it damp; flooding a few times a week.

Cole
    Duele no tenerte cerca, duele no escuchar tu voz. Duele respirar tu ausencia, pero, duele más decirte adiós.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My plants are in LFS/Peat/Perlite (2:1:1 approx.) and growing in a large water lily pot/basket. This stands in about an inch of water in the growth period (March-Nov), but I keep the substrate just damp when it's above-ground growth dies down in winter, recommencing full watering when new growth appears. They need a cool, dry winter dormancy to flower well. I also, occasionally, give the pot a light foliar feed with very dilute acidic fertiliser (similar to Miracid, but a UK brand).

After four years, it looks like this form is finally going to flower for me (cue aphid attack/kiddies prying fingers etc.). I should be able to post a flower picture in a couple of weeks. I have talked to several successful U.K. growers of this plant (i.e. it flowers every year for them) over the last couple of years and my current growing regime is a result of their advice. I have wanted to flower this species since first opening 'Savage Garden' and I hope that my 'Large/Typical' form (obtained as a small plant last Summer) flowers in a year or two as well.

Vic
    They say that money talks, but all it ever says to me is goodbye.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to all for the input. I believe I will increase the depth of the water the plant sits in based on this information.

Vic, you be sure to take tons of pics of that flower! WOW! Congratulations on your success!
    "Grow More, Share More"

9. Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast