What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hardy Temperate...

For next years mini bog garden...

what kind of Utrica can stand being frozen solid for the winter monthes?

Any that DON"T look like grass, and htat have flowers that are not eyllow?
tounge.gif

If you could name two that can coexist, that would be better, but wutever, I'm sure the only omniscient person here is dodec... Hehe...

Thanks loads.
Greg

Umm.. I only know of 3 and they all have yellow flowers.. sorry

Actually you might want to contact Tamlin on this one for subaffixed/aquatics that can be frozen solid as I think he just leaves his outdoors year round in upstate NY.

Pyro

U purpurea is a temperate aquatic with pink flowers, and U. resupinata is a temperate terrestrial with pink flowers. But U. resupinata looks even more like grass than most utrics.

I'd be interested in any that would grow here in Alaska (besides our native ones). The lowest our winter temps get is -30F to -50F .. anyone know any that could take that?

Egads, that is c-c-c-o-o-l-l-l-d-d-d. I do leave mine outside exposed and frozen solid, but the lows here only get to -20f and only occasionally. I can't say for sure what would survive in your neck of the woods. I guess it would have to be a trial and error scenario for you. -50F!!! Man, I would consider moving once you thaw out, that is!

Tamlin-
*laughter* I know, I know.. but trust me.. Alaska has more than enough good qualities to make up for it.. besides, there are colder places...
We have 3 native Utrics.. some of wich grow all the way up past Fairbanks where it can get so cold the tires freeze to the pavement when you try to drive anywhere (no kidding) of course, that's not a constant occurance.. but still.. they are alot colder then us.. so I keep hoping that there are some different Utrics out there that could make it..
but I guess it's like you said- trial and error
smile.gif
Any suggestions on where to start? What are the hardiest species you know of?

Well, I believe that macrorhiza and intermedia might make it. Radiata, purpurea and gibba come to mind as well. At least you have some native Pinguicula - that alone is a big plus to living there. Have you seen the Pings in habitat? Do you grow any of them? I am very interested in trying vulgaris and the other one which I forget right now. I would be interested in trading if you're growing these plants, and I am also looking for seed of the temperate D. anglica for my seed testa scan project.

Tamlin-
Thank you for the advice on temperate Utrics. I'll look for some to experiment with.

I'm currently growing P. vulgaris and P. villosa. Both are outdoors year-round and growing nicely. I've also seen them in their native habitat many times. I know I have a P. villosa and I may have a P. vulgaris for trade. I'll check tonight  
smile.gif
I have plants of D. anglica for trade and I'll have seeds in early August. Both D. anglica and D. rotundifolia grow like weeds in my bog garden...

Back