What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aldrovanda seed

hi all ,

I need your help : I'll receive Aldrovanda seeds next time , but i don't know how to store them....any idea ?

also , I'm asking myself if the seeds will survive a dry storage....as they come from an aquatic plant
confused.gif

answers welcome !

patrice c

Bonjour Patrice,

Nice to see you again! After a little research which produced no answers to your question, I remembered Phil Sheriden has a VERY healthy population of various Aldrovanda at his research station in Virginia. Perhaps he can answer some of your questions!

He may be reached at:

meadowview@pitcherplant.org

Please send Phill Tamlin's good wishes.

Hi William ,

Thank you for this "link" , I'll ask him and will give you (all) his answer.
I searched for answers , but it's not easy to find some...in fact , these plants are often sent adult to the growers , that's why seed-questions are hard to answer (a bit like pinguicula-seed questions...)

I'll also e-mail you privatly

Best regards

Patrice C

Hi William ,

thanks for the link , but ... I know it !
I'm still awaiting answer to the e-mail I sent to Mr Adamec , a person that I've met two years ago. I bought some interresting plants from him (U.volubilis...) , and we talked a bit. He's doing a very good job on Aldrovanda.
Also , I must tell you that the pictures of Aldrovanda seedlings are from my good friend Hervé , the person who'll send me the seeds.
He have no answer to my question himself !

On the site is mentionned Mr Degreef . He wrote a book on that plant , a book that we are re-writing for the moment (sorry , it'll be in french) , with new knowledge etc....you see , I'm involved in things regarding that plant , but I dont know everything about it....That's the magic in botanics : everyday is another discovery-day

If I receive answer , I'll tell you

patrice c

Please do keep us informed, and best of luck with your research!

(as an off topic aside: I have germination from D. kaieteurensis and D. affinis. I am sending the D. alba seed to a tissue culture expert at the Atlanta Botanical Gardens in hopes that he will have success in introducing it to TC. It's just too rare for me to risk failing with it.)

Hi William , all ,

I received Phill Sheridan's answer today : he dont know...he was successfull with his Aldrovanda , they produced seeds , but he dont know about seed conservation...and , as you , he told me about Dr Adamec...so , I hope I'll receive info as soon as possible from him.

Your "off topic" :
yes , I think it was a good idea to send the D.alba seeds to a bot.garden...mine haven't sprout yet , but , fortunately , the D.kaieteurensis have...but , no chance , one of the forms is certainly something else than D.kaieteurensis...it's a real pitty not to have really good informations on these plants , like botanical drawings etc...this should be a really great help to people to ID their plants before sending seed out with "false ID"...ok , I certainly did it myself a couple of times , but it was only because of a lack of information , and because of a lack of rightly IDed plants (plants that I have bought for hard money  
confused.gif
)

Thanks the internet , there are more and more informations awailable , now I try to find a real picture from the plant that I intend to buy , but what can I do when I buy//receive seeds ?....sawing it , and been lucky !

Patrice C

Patrice,

More off topic (apologies all):

Try letting the pot with the D. alba dry off and allow it to "ripen" in the summer sun, protected from storms.  A friend in the UK with experience with South African winter growers says germination may be delayed until the cooler Autumn weather sets in.  I have heard of other accounts of delayed germination in D. cistiflora, so don't give up hope.

It is sad news about the D. kaieteurensis.  I wonder if I will ever find this species :-( Let me guess, it will turn out to be D. spatulata: who could imagine that!

Hi Wiliam , all ,

ok , lets continue on that "off topic"...sorry

thank you for that answer , it's really helpfull. I'll try that , and tell you.

concerning D.kaieteurensis , one of my plants look "good" I think.
I hope the swan will not change in a duck...

patrice c

Back