What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tropical Epipthytic Utrics

Hi everyone,
Does anyone here have experience growing tropical epiphytic utrics i.e. endresii, quelchii etc. What are the temperatures they like? Do they require a dry winter dormancy? Where can you acquire them?

CP2k,

I have U. longifolia and am germinating seeds of U. reniformis so I can give you what I know for them.

The reniformis seeds are in either milled sphag or a 60:40 peat:sand mix. I keep the temp at around 70 and they are on the tray system. To grow them well and get them to flower they need lots of room (8-10" pot for a mature plant.) I have been told that they need a cold snap as well to promote flowering but as I don't have any mature specimines I can't gie you any firm answer.

I grow U. longifolia in an equal mix of sphag:peat:eek:rchid bark and keep it on the tray system as well with some over head watering, temp 60-80.

As for where to get other species, your guess is as good as mine. I have been searching for years with little success. I am starting to look over seas and I would be more than happy to keep you in mind if I find anything.

Hope this info helps and feel free to contact me anytime with other questions

Pyro

Thanks for the help.

Oh...and if I aquire any different epip. utrics than what you already have I'll be more than happy to trade.

CP2k,

That sounds great and you can expect the same from me. I may have recently been sent a link to a place that sells seeds and they are supposed to have many Utric species, I'll check it out and provide it to you if it looks promising.

Pyro

P.S. What species do you have

My list (of Utrics and Genlisea)

U. sandersonii 'blue flower'
U. tricolor
U. dichotoma
U. calycifida
G. hispidula
G violacea 'giant'
G. sp "Itacambria Beauty'

And something that may be U. subulata but I have no idea where it came from.

U. Subulata just 'exsists'!!!! I have never bought this plant but have had it spontaniously develop in pots of my other CP's! But not the pretty bright yellow chasmogomous type but the awfull, unnatractive, self fertile cliestogamous type.

Pyro,

The only utric. I have now is U.subulata. Pathetic isnt it.
I am looking to expand my collection of utrics and hopefully I'll be aquiring a reniformis in the Spring.

Richard,

I wasn't aware that there were actually two forms. I'd always heard that the plant can switch back and forth between those states when there is a need to 'promote genetic diversity.'

CP2k,

It isn't pathetic, we all have to start somewhere
smile.gif
Drop me an email and we'll see about expanding your collection.

Pyro

Hey guys.

I have alpina and a supposed alpina x endressii that I have growing quite well in a mix of perlite and dead sphagnum. I water it from above whenever it starts to look a bit dry. Quite a change from usual utric cultivation methods.

Unfortunately I don't have enough to trade right now.

Pyro, That may be the case with U. subulata Ive just never got it to produce proper flowers! I wouldn't mind it so much when it invades every pot in my greenhouse if it had proper flowers!

Does anyone know if there are any hybrid terrestrial Utrics? Has anyone ever tried? I was thinking of maybe just tinkering with it and see what happens. Maybe U. Bisquamata x Livida or something!

I've never heard of any true utric hybrids. There are some plants around that are labelled as such, but none, to my knowlege have been confirmed.

I like Richard's idea and I think I'll try my hand at hybridizing too when my plants come into bloom again.

Pyro

Back