Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Seedlings!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking

YAY! [img]http://www.**********.com/iBhtml/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img] I just sprouted some bladderwort seeds (They were from the ICPS and I don't remember the name. I'll go check later). They're Trpoical and just have one or two leaves each. I'm not sure what to do next tho. The medium I have them in (runny peat) would just swallow them up if I dumped the thing out. I think I may be getting some algae in there so they may need to be moved pronto. What do I do? [img]http://www.**********.com/iBhtml/non-cgi/emoticons/confused.gif[/img]

Oh, BTW: I can't post a picture yet BCS they're in a jar so I can't get close to them and I can't zoom in far enuf with a DC (i'll post some pics asap, that is, if they don't die).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Gafato,

I'm not an expert, but mine are also in a jar and doing pretty well. I've got them in a small round goldfish bowl, about 3-5" inches. They're in two inches of water, and 1/4" peat at the bottom with a pinch of sand thrown in. Maybe put a little less water since you have little ones, just so some of the plant can touch the peat.

[img]http://home.**********.com/wickedthistle/ugibba.jpg[/img]
    A flytrap ate my homework!
    -Michelle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, but I think they'll end up crowding each other. I'd like to get them somewhere where they can be a little more maneagable. BTW they're Longifolia. What are urs Thistle? They look aquatic. [img]http://www.**********.com/iBhtml/non-cgi/emoticons/confused.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my fairly limited experience growing utrics from seed, I've found that they grow very slowly at first. You will need to put them on a peat or sphagnum substrate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would recommend a mix of milled and dried dead LF sphag for longifolia sprouts. To avoid harming the seedlings I suggest you remove a chunk of the peat with them and set the whole thing in the sphag. I would suggest a 3" pot on the tray system, every 1-3 days mist them a fair amount. As they get larger switch from misting to sucking the water from the tray with a turkey baster and squirt it (gently) around the plantlets.

This is the method I have adopted for my reniformis seedlings and they are growing strong.

As they plants mature you can probably stay with a LF sphag mix but you might also want to consider a more open mix. I grow mine in 1:1:1:1 orchid bark:LF sphag:lava rock:charcoal. Some times I add 5% peat just for a little extra acidity

Pyro
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All good suggestions but I think I know why the seeds sprouted and why I think I'm going to leave them for a week or so. I set them in the medium Pyro recomended when he was participating in a discussion with me about seeds. They are on a very runny peat mix. in the bottom of a large honey jar. The honey jar isn't conducive to remvoing the seedlings (foresight, eh?) but provides wonderfully constant humidity. The U. Longifolia seedlings are growing quickly though so I should be able to work out a way to scoop them up in the next week. BTW: How much light should the little guys get?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    U. longifolia can take lower light levels. 50% sun or under fluorescents should do fine.
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

Hagerstown, Maryland

--