Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Aquarium Terrarium Combo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If there was ANY way for me to have to do very little in order to keep roots cold, i would find having a darlingtonia to be the best thing in the world!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, darlingtonia would rule out the possibilty of using a heater of Any type for keeping the tank humid, if that's not a concern than I guess go ahead and try it. Ultimately it's your' plant and your tank, I'm just making sudgestions. I don't feel like anything beyond a 6 inch tall darlingtonia would be happy in the tank, after that they try too hard to spread like a plague, which is good, except when you have to hack them back to keep form over running your tank. I think they are much better suited for a more open bog environment. Even a mini bog can very neatly accomodate a cobra lily. In my opinion, the best candidates for a paludarium are...
    1. any variation of venus fly trap
    2. all temperate butterworts
    3. any sundew you don't mind yanking out or can put into dormancy
    4. Small Sarr's
    5. Almost all bladderworts
    6. Byblis are ok

You can also create a tank full of plants that don't need a dormancy, in which case, the sky's the limit really, just keep in mind that someday you may have to remove it if it is a plant that gets big. Sarracenia Flave for example, would be really stupid to put in a 30 gallon tank, it get's WAY too big. Purpurea is perfect, it will never be too tall.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, I'm not making a tank.... I was just wondering if there is an easy way to keep Darlingotnia roots cooll..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Move to Oregon! lol :biggrin:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Havron saves the day again...
    Oh, and the answer: NO! CaNaDiAn is the way to stay dude!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm thinking I might try a bog in a jar. Remember those glass water jugs (10 gallon I think) you used to be able to buy? I guess a plastic one would work as well. It might be a little tricky getting the plants in though.

Marshfield, MA (US) USDA zone 6 cold-temperate coastal
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dyflam,

I saw something similar to what you mentioned on HGTV. You use one of those glass jars with an airtight lid. You add a layer of gravel, then a layer of charcoal, then some sort of screen (like the kind used in windows) to keep the soil mix from seeping down. I think a good mix for noncarnivores would be 2:1:1:1 peat/perlite/vermiculite/sand with some charcoal.

Plants to use: I think the best noncarnivore for such a terrarium would be Fittonia (nerve plants). They're small, like high humidity, moisture, warmth, and low light.

Carnivores to use: things get difficult here. Because the terrarium is airtight, placing in direct sun (what most carnivores require) would fry the plant within. You couldn't use anything tall, e.g. upright Sarracenia. Because they're so tough and tolerant, Drosera capensis may work. I'd try capensis 'alba.'

Flint, have you visited this site?
    http://www.***********.com
    Those poison dart frogs are incredible!
    And do you think climbing (vining) Nepenthes would do well in one of these paludaria? They'd look very nice climbing up the back wall. I think by far the best plants to use would be tropicals. They look great all year and don't have to be removed for dormancy. It is also easier and cheaper to heat a terrarium than it is to cool one.

Happy Easter!

Chris

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, and I think their prices are outrageous. A climbing Nep over runs the tank too fast for my tastes. I like Neps like Ventricosa Red, and the like, that stay really compact as the grow. Nep. Madagascarenisis is also a great choice. I have seen huge paludariums that were very happily accomidating Sarr. Flava. It was about 4'x8' and went floor to ceiling in this rich guys house! I want to do that someday! He had a sky light above it, god it looked good. He had like some lizards in there and other small animals, it was just really cool.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast